Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 ram 2500 has just died, this was my first work truck when I started the business and up until today ran ( kinda) great.
I need to replace it before the winter season is over, I have found a great deal on a 2010 ford f250 powerstroke diesel. Any thoughts on this year and model of truck, never been a ford guy but willing to try anything. Any thoughts or info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
818 Posts
6.4 is a lot better than the 6.0

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would not want one unless it was truly making me money. I would rather have a D max or pre 07 cummins, even though i think the rest of the Ford is better

·
Registered
818 Posts
A 5.9 Cummins in a late 90's ford body, with an Allison tranny from a chevy.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
No sir it is a gas,
Might I ask what put her in the grave? I have a 2001 2500 gasser that just turned 198,000 miles.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
loneframer said:
Might I ask what put her in the grave? I have a 2001 2500 gasser that just turned 198,000 miles.
To be honest I am not 100% sure! I got in it turned the key, the rev counter almost done a 360 there was a bang looks of smoke and I needed new shorts.
Gonna head down this weekend and give it the once over but I can't put any money into this thing . Put near $6000 into it.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I got in it turned the key, the rev counter almost done a 360 there was a bang looks of smoke and I needed new shorts.
Well, if you gonna go out, do it with a BANG!!!:eek::laughing:

Reactions: B.D.R.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
IMO if your going with the Ford get the 6.7. I myself after being a Ford man all my life have gone with the Duramax. I have had two of the 06 LBZ's one which i still own and absolutely love the truck. Very dependable, great on fuel and rides nice. Truck has 166k on it now. Had to replace the heads at 70k under warranty, otherwise i have replaced both wheel bearings once, both outer and inner tie rods once, all 4 shocks once, just did upper/lower ball joints the other day, one alternator, replaced both batteries, and i just replaced all 4 rotors, pads, and semi-loaded calipers. I have also replaced the tranny cooler lines, replaced a couple brake lines/fuel lines and fuel sending unit due to rust. This truck tows almost everyday. If it is not towing it is carrying a sander and plow for snow removal/sanding. Truck has had a tuner on it since 32k miles and will run with most any sport car on the road. IMO for an everyday work truck that really gets worked and beat this truck has held up very well and i hope to get at least another 7yrs out of it.

Besides a Duramax i would not hesitate to buy a Dodge Cummins. For me to own a Ford it would have to be the old 7.3 or the new 6.7.

·
Framing Contractor
427 Posts
I've owned a 6.4 Powerstroke since May '13 and have had no issues since then. For your guys infornation, its not the engine itself that usually has issues, its the emissions equipment on them. Once you remove those the fuel economy and reliabilty increases. Also, I dont think the interior of the '08-'10 Super Duty can't be beat.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
To be honest I am not 100% sure! I got in it turned the key, the rev counter almost done a 360 there was a bang looks of smoke and I needed new shorts.
Gonna head down this weekend and give it the once over but I can't put any money into this thing . Put near $6000 into it.
Better check under the hood for an auto fooler. :laughing:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sounds like it was over revved. That BANG was probably a connecting rod. Do you have a seized up throttle or something? That is very odd. Pushrod engines do not like to be redlined :D

You can't beat Cummins for diesel trucks. The Duramax is an Isuzu engine and has an iffy reputation so far. GM has never been able to produce a diesel that even compares to anything in Dodge or Ford.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

After long hours online and visiting every truck dealer in Toronto and the GTA I have settled on a ford f250 super duty 2012 68km and $18,000 gasser, I took it to my guy who give me a list of what's needed, ford have agreed to fix/repair it plus new tires. I will post pics when it passes it's final inspection form my guy,
Purchase is only if he gives it the all clear, this is in the sale agreement.
Hope it works out.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Update

After long hours online and visiting every truck dealer in Toronto and the GTA I have settled on a ford f250 super duty 2012 68km and $18,000 gasser, I took it to my guy who give me a list of what's needed, ford have agreed to fix/repair it plus new tires. I will post pics when it passes it's final inspection form my guy,
Hope it works out.
Get a nice caddy, screw the trucks...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Update

Hope it works out.
2wd and single cab? That's still a pretty decent price

1 - 20 of 21 Posts