Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a job today that we don't have much experience on, that is replacing a casement style metal window with a new vinyl window. The metal fin protudes into the window space about 1" all the way around. It would be a mess to cut the metal out to make it flush with the opening.
I was thinking to take a 2x6 (a full 2" board would be better but not sure how available) and use a router on the back of the board to accomodate the fin. Mount this 2x6 all the way around the opening, install window, and then wrap the outside and trim the inside of the 2x6.
Easier way? This seems pretty labor intensive. :eek:
Thanks,

dave

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
the 2x is on the outside? how would you flash this?

some guys leave the old steel sash installed cutting away any hinges etc
then push the new unit from the inside against the old sash
then cap over the old sash on the outside
don't ask me how,i always pull the whole old unit

there are special tool to collapse the old steel units in the opening
i think Patrick uses one

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 2x is on the outside? how would you flash this?

some guys leave the old steel sash installed cutting away any hinges etc
then push the new unit from the inside against the old sash
then cap over the old sash on the outside
don't ask me how,i always pull the whole old unit

there are special tool to collapse the old steel units in the opening
i think Patrick uses one
Would cover outside of 2x6 with aluminum trim coil. Looks like the frames of the units might be embedded into the masonry, might be pretty tough to remove with out a "special tool". Then you would probably have to mount a board to install the window to. Was thinking of mounting the window from the inside up against the metal fin but it might be kind of tough to cover that thick fin with coil? Thanks for your ideas, something will come together!
dave

·
Registered
301 Posts
If it has a fin embedded into masonary and is a steel window that sounds like a good idea, just bring the jamb in to clear the steel frame and trim accordingly.

Some of those steel casements do not have an integral nail fin, they will have screws under the glazing/morter that holds the glass in. Or some will have a nail fin screwed onto the window frame. Either of these styles can turn what looks really ugly into an easier job:clap:.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts