Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story, a retro-fitting company( ie friend of mine), not licensed. Installed the wrong type of Occupency sensors in a beautiful multi-million brand new building and burned up 32- 277 volt low voltage magnetic ballast can lights.

He hired me to go straighten this mess out, my question would be, can I install a LV electronic ballast in each can? Should it be a manufacture spec transformer? or just any 277v magnetic trans? Or who knows where I can buy a 277v/12v transformer?

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My question is should I replace the ballast, with a direct factory replacement? So far the OEM has not returned my calls or email.

They use a magnetic 277 volt ballast, but it has to fit inside the fabricated box in the can, so it can't be just any ballast.

I'm also asking if I can use a Electronic ballast, where is it defiantly smaller and easier to buy, but it is not original.

I'm concerned that I replace these ballast, with non factory replacement, I might have some type of liability issues, that I don't want. In fact, I will write in my contract, no warranty, no responsibility for jack.

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just replace all the fixtures unless you want to be held liable for re-using blown up hi-hats that some other "electrician" damaged badly and you rewired.

The fixtures are recessed 277v 4" IC rated can lights. New construction style, box style fixture, hard lid ceiling, no access above ceiling. Commercial office building.

I appreciate your reply, that is a pretty good idea, not possible and a remodel would not be code.

·
Baltimore Electrician
1,249 Posts
The fixtures are recessed 277v 4" IC rated can lights. New construction style, box style fixture, hard lid ceiling, no access above ceiling. Commercial office building.
It will be fun changing those ballasts.
Actually, damn near impossible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sure your buddy would love you to do this as cheap as possible, but if you change those ballasts out with non-standard ones .. and they give problems.. is he that much of a buddy that he'll cover the costs for you to go back and replace them a second time?

If he is? ... send me his name and number, i can always use a buddy like that.

IMO .. a ballast is a ballast, shouldn't make too much of a difference.

However once you start putting non-standard pieces in fixtures your taking on the role of an engineer and CSA ( i'm Canadian ) takes a very dim view of that.

The second problem is that God forbid there is ever a fire .. the insurance companies would eat you alive if they found out that you had replaced the ballasts with one that wasn't approved for that use.

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure your buddy would love you to do this as cheap as possible, but if you change those ballasts out with non-standard ones .. and they give problems.. is he that much of a buddy that he'll cover the costs for you to go back and replace them a second time?

If he is? ... send me his name and number, i can always use a buddy like that.

IMO .. a ballast is a ballast, shouldn't make too much of a difference.

However once you start putting non-standard pieces in fixtures your taking on the role of an engineer and CSA ( i'm Canadian ) takes a very dim view of that.

The second problem is that God forbid there is ever a fire .. the insurance companies would eat you alive if they found out that you had replaced the ballasts with one that wasn't approved for that use.

Thank you. The manufacturing finally got back with me, so hopefully they will tell me where to buy them or send me some free ones.

·
Baltimore Electrician
1,249 Posts

JohnJ0906 said:
It will be fun changing those ballasts.
Actually, damn near impossible.
I removed a ballst out of one, it is actually a good design, to work with.
You removed it through the 4" recessed opening?

·
Baltimore Electrician
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
There's been a couple of times I've converted existing fluorescent cans to incandescent by opening the j-box from inside the can and changing things. It's totally do-able, so changing ballasts is no big deal. But not for free.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts