Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vinyl is easy, it will flex alot, however, aluminum is a different beast. without removing the siding above the damaged pieces, does anyone have any good advice as to replacing 2 or 3 pieces. Bottom just hooks to starter, its the bottom 3, but how to get it tightly/nicely fit back together at the existing row above is my question. ?? Thanks.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,816 Posts
Not sure how I missed the original post on this. Aluminum siding is just like vinyl, just a whole lot less forgiving. Can't say I've had much trouble with it unless I went at it like a bull in a china shop.

·
Registered
497 Posts
... aluminum is a different beast. without removing the siding above the damaged pieces, does anyone have any good advice as to replacing 2 or 3 pieces. Bottom just hooks to starter, its the bottom 3, but how to get it tightly/nicely fit back together at the existing row above is my question. ?? Thanks.
Back in the 70's when we sold tons of aluminum siding, if a piece was damaged in the middle of the wall the guys would remove and replace the bad panel in a few minutes.

If I remember right, you cut the damaged panel horizontally about 1" under the piece above it. Then, take the replacement piece and cut the nailing hem off as high as possible.

Slide the fresh edge of the replacement panel to the outside of the 1" chunk and just behind the butt of the panel above. "Snap" it in and add either a bead of silicone at the top or a couple pop rivets thru the face into the 1" chunk if you get a lot of wind. You might have to play with the height a little so you can lock the butt edge and still have enough of the face to catch on the panel above.

Hope I typed that clear enough, it would be easier to draw.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I've only done this once, but it worked. Handle it just like you would vinyl. Work slower and more carefully and it will lock in place. Pull it only as much as necessary to unlock it, remove the piece and replace. Use your zip tool to relock the piece above. I used the butt of my hammer to push the siding a little snugger.

Good Luck
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts