Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at a job where I've recommended replacing the western casing in a small condo along with the flooring/new base that will be going in.

The construction of the complex looks like they would have used prehung doors and I would like to determine if its feasible to replace the casing on ~8 doors. Any feedback on the difficulty of replacing casing on prehung doors would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Just did 12 the other day.Yes you can.I wish I could do it all day long every day.Curious to why you would question if you could or not.
A member with 3000 posts listed as a remodeler?
As MD jim stated it's a good idea to shoot a few into the jambs first to make sure they are stable.I've seen some prehungs where the guys just thru them in the hole and nailed the casing.You never know what you'll run into these days.

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've fixed a few prehung's in the past where a piece or two of new casing was required and they were attached so well that the removal/cleanup was too time consuming for what I've allotted. Back then I didn't have my MultiMaster.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I've fixed a few prehung's in the past where a piece or two of new casing was required and they were attached so well that the removal/cleanup was too time consuming for what I've allotted. Back then I didn't have my MultiMaster.
When you're prying it off use a 6" taping knife under your pry bar. it helps distribute the weight from prying and and prevents damage to the drywall/door frame.

I like these for removing casing.

·
THe IRon Piñata
171 Posts
Dude U can take it all off with that tool in the pic works great. Don't be in a hurry though.. No need to shoot jamb it's already shot. Just no jerking or prying to hard. Split jamb pre hung will need to be shot but single jamb I wouldn't think so...
+1 for cutting caulk first. don't want to rip paper layer of sheet rock off...

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
image-2612725884.jpg

Hive tools!

The trim guy that trained me introduced these to me.

No better way to remove trim without damaging the jamb or the wall. ( That, a utility knife and a little patience will yield a flawless removal. )

Nice pic, great advice.

- Scott

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Rockler sells the Titan stainless pair for about $15.

Hyde Tools was the original black one I started off with.

Will try and post links.

Phone is lagging right now.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use the dasco pro 9 1/2 trim bar. I buy the 3 pack of assorted trim bars at HD for 10 bucks. After buying the vaughan mini wonder bar years ago I found that sometimes you need two or maybe 3. :laughing: Actually when buying it I thought I would never use it. :no:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I have used a heavy duty painters tool to remove trim---works great--also--I carry a drywallers hatchet--perfect tool for prying off the loosened trim--also handy when installing---

1 - 20 of 29 Posts