Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here it goes, I would like to replace old early 80s horizontal aluminum windows in my house. The exterior is wood siding and the trim around the window exterior is basically 2x4s. On the inside the jamb is wood. I believe they have a nailing fin under the exterior 2x4 trim. My question is, if I pull the sliders out and install a replacement, you will still see the old window frame. If I pull out the old frame there would be a decent size gap between the new replacement and exterior trim. I would think the proper way to do this would be to pull off the exterior trim and install a new, new construction style. If that is the case what would be the most accurate way to measure the rough opening. Am I right on any of this?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I wish every nail fin window or patio door I had to pull out had a trim board over it. 99 times out of a 100 they sided right over the fins. I would guess they used 5/4 for trim and not a 2x4.

You could measure the actual outside frame size of the window and use that to order by. It doesn't look like you have any jamb depth on the old windows so you may be re-trimming the insides.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I prefer to install windows with a fin were possible. So in your case I would suggest pulling the exterior trim and pull the windows out. Cut the interior down to fit the new windows (assuming using vinyl) and install that way.

Otherwise you can jack the frame out and leave everything in place and trim coil on the outside. If we do this I try and wrap the whole exterior trim. We have done small trim to trim, I don't like it but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and do it.

This is why I don't like to do it: (this is not my job, its a job I was looking at repairs on):

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After thinking more about it I think that will also be the easier way. I assume the new windows will most likely be thicker from the backside of the nailer to the interior window so I'd have to cut some of the jamb. I need to paint the exterior so if the bulk of the work is exterior I won't mind. Should I pull the exterior trim off and maybe try to pop a window out to get the rough opening measurements?

·
Registered
132 Posts
if you remove the trim on one window you should be able to figure out the size and use that as a reference. the frame may be 4" larger that the glass or something like that. If all of the windows are the same, the relationship should be the same.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Were are you located?

HD sells a Simonton, but as far as I know they can't (are not supposed to) sell it out right. Only through HD Home services or something.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in Charleston SC.

Take a look at this picture. The interior wood jamb is over the 2x4 framing, could I essentially use that as my rough opening? Pull exterior trim off, pull out old window, insert new window in hole, possibly would have to rip a 2x6 for the trim since I would think the window dimension may shrink a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
The American Craftsman garbage from Silverline that is sold through HD has to be about the worst vinyl offering out there. Not knowing where you're located at I'll say that there are very few nationally distributed vinyl products out there as like with Simonton. I'm not a real Simonton fan due to the dated design, sloppy welds, air leakage, and bulky sashes. However, with that being said optioned correctly the 5500 or 9800 in a 2-lite slider would be a safe bet.

Simonton is sold readily through larger lumberyards and large contractor distribution centers such as ABC and Lansing. PGT down south (East Coast) might be a good option as with Paradigm for the North East. The Plygem/Mastic product that is part of the old Great Lakes family has a premium series that is a pretty decent mid-grade offering as well. I like it over the Simontons.

Soft-Lite has some distribution of it's older Pro series which for a dated design is still a decent product. Most of the upper end vinyl products are reserved for exclusive dealers as with OKNA, Sunrise, and Soft-Lite Imperial LS/Elements.

As for the best installation technique, if we remove something with a nailing flange I prefer to install something with a fin too. It might require mods to the interior returns and exterior, but done correctly it will provide more protection from water.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
I'm in Charleston SC.

Take a look at this picture. The interior wood jamb is over the 2x4 framing, could I essentially use that as my rough opening? Pull exterior trim off, pull out old window, insert new window in hole, possibly would have to rip a 2x6 for the trim since I would think the window dimension may shrink a bit.
yes,some manufacturers will have stock units close to your r.o. dimension,i would order them with extension jambs attached

·
Registered
477 Posts
There are 2 ABC Supplies in Charleston.

I don't have a real issue with Simonton, just stay inside the 5500 and 9800 line for better quality control like DM said.

Everyone has an opinion, but I know price plays a role. Just remember you don't want to have to replace them in 8 years either.

I know they carry Simonton up there. I'm not sure if Custom Windows (8100) or PGT (2100 series is good, 400 is a beast but is $$$) will travel up there any more, but they might. I don't like PlyGem because they fade in Florida. Atrium if your desperate for glass breakage warranty, but don't care about performance. Jeld-Wen is decent for the price. Schwinco 7000 series if you can get it.

If you have an issue with ABC trying to stick it to you let me know. I don't work for them but I buy a lot from them so I get good service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts