Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like most of what I see in terms of 36" entry doors w/ attached lites are fiberglass or steel. Are there reasonably priced wood options-I'm wondering if the wood doors are high end, therefore high priced.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
No, there are plenty of reasonably priced EXT wood doors, many are even cheaper than fibreglass or metal, now when you figure in the finishing and maintenance, the cheaper wood door will soon become pricey. GMOD

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I just ordered this door in the attached pics for a customer last week.

These doors are made by Simpson Door Company, my all time favorite wood door company and have been using their doors for 30 years. Don't know how far a distributer is from you but check their website. Also their factory is very close to me, so shipping may be a issue for you.

http://www.simpsondoor.com

The door I ordered is a 3'6" x 6'8" with two sidelights and dentil shelf to fit in a 6'2" opening, and the door will be douglas fir. We priced it in oak and fir, my price for fir was just about $2,500, and for oak was $3,500. Also this door will need to be finished.

First pic is fir, second pic is oak, and a sidelight.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I just ordered this door in the attached pics for a customer last week.

These doors are made by Simpson Door Company, my all time favorite wood door company and have been using their doors for 30 years. Don't know how far a distributer is from you but check their website. Also their factory is very close to me, so shipping may be a issue for you.

http://www.simpsondoor.com

The door I ordered is a 3'6" x 6'8" with two sidelights and dentil shelf to fit in a 6'2" opening, and the door will be douglas fir. We priced it in oak and fir, my price for fir was just about $2,500, and for oak was $3,500. Also this door will need to be finished.

First pic is fir, second pic is oak, and a sidelight.

Beautiful doors, 30 to 35% of that price is all about the glass, GMOD

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I love the Simpson doors in fir, and think it looks better than the oak. The most beautiful firs doors I have ever seen, and I think they must have a stock pile of old growth fir hiding somewhere since they have been around since the 40's.

When I get it finished I'll post a pic.

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Simpson doors would take 8 weeks...WOW! I've got the customer into fiberglass now...doesn't make sense to pay all that money for wood then paint it

·
Registered
96 Posts
The fibreglass doors I install after they are stained you would have a hard time telling it from wood.They have really improved in the last few years and the biggest selling feature to the customer... almost no maintenance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts