Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start rewiring our 1849 post & beam barn. It is used as a hobby shop, vehicle storage and great place for me to putter. The existing wiring appears to be BX type with old fixtures, etc. No interior finish to the walls/ceilings and I have to work around many old beams. I think I should stay away from Romex since I do see an occassional chipmunk and I want more protection from stray nails, etc. So far, it seems as if Type MC would be a good choice. I really don't want to work with and look at solid conduit. Would I be making a mistake going with the MC (aluminum clad)?
Thanks, Steve (unregistered)
PS - Where 12-2 w/ground is the Romex what is the MC designation to accomplish the same? Cost per foot for 500'?

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
You would use the same 12w ground for mc cable, but your cost will climb considerably. You will have to buy metal boxes, connectors, and clamps. I don't have the last cost I used in front of me for 12/2, but the last 10/2 I bought was 59 for a 125 foot roll. Of course it also depends on your location and local codes. You may be required to use mc or emt anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not use mc

Mc is hard to work with in old restorations, especially when you are trying to hide wiring so as not to wreck the apperance of a post and beam. Mc will not protect your wires from a stray nail or screw. They will protect from mice.

Be very carefull tearing out the old MC wire. Disturbing the old cloth mc can start fires.........

Unregistered said:
I am about to start rewiring our 1849 post & beam barn. It is used as a hobby shop, vehicle storage and great place for me to putter. The existing wiring appears to be BX type with old fixtures, etc. No interior finish to the walls/ceilings and I have to work around many old beams. I think I should stay away from Romex since I do see an occassional chipmunk and I want more protection from stray nails, etc. So far, it seems as if Type MC would be a good choice. I really don't want to work with and look at solid conduit. Would I be making a mistake going with the MC (aluminum clad)?
Thanks, Steve (unregistered)
PS - Where 12-2 w/ground is the Romex what is the MC designation to accomplish the same? Cost per foot for 500'?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts