Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Guys

The wife and I are planning on some replacement windows, we need 8 for the 2nd floor of our home.

1) these are the window sizes, could you tell me if they are odd sizes? as the ---- from HD said they were and would require a custom window.

31" W x 56 1/2"H
31 1/2"W X 40 1/2" H

2) Who has the best design, with ease of installation in mind, wife would or should I say has to have tilt in design.

Thanks Bernie

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Bernie,
all replacments are more or less custom, order to fit. Where are you located? Do you have an installer? if you e-mail me a window schedule (list) and your not too far from me I could shoot you some figures. [email protected] , look forward to hearing from you. oh yea.....I'm in south central ILLINOIS.
Thanks Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Like Glass said, all "Replacement" windows are pretty much custom. Home depot sometimes stocks common sizes but when we install windows we go direct to the manufacturer and have the custom made.

They also all install pretty much the same. Take out the old, pop in the new, few screws, some insulation, cap the exterior with aluminum, done.

Make sure your replacement has a sloped sill, insulated glass (argon is best), and low -e glazing. The sloped sill allows water to drain, the argon gas is heavier than air so provides a good thermal barrier between the inside and outside. The low-e is a reflective "coating" that bounces the sun back at it's self to prevent sun fading of your couches rugs etc... The Low E is also an insulation as well, but not much, in my opinion.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys
Thanks for your replies, however I do not think I could afford the service call to replace these windows as I live in MA/NH border.

I was talking to a guy that installs windows and he said that for what I will pay for them, he could buy and install them. Same thing happened to me years ago on insulation, for the price someone elese could do the entire job.

Prices from home depot can suprise you, we were looking at flooring and found some Pergo hard wood for $3.00 Sf had to be ordered with a deposit. I looked at the same flooring from lumber liquidators for $1.77 Sf and they had hudereds of the stuff in stock.

Glasshouseblt: The sizes are (4) 31" W x 56 1/2"H & (4) 31 1/2"W X 40 1/2" H to me they dont seem to be that had to install, then again thats coming from a heating contractor what I know about replacement windows you could put in a thimble.

THanks Guys
Bernie

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tell the nimrods at home depot that you just want replacement sashes and tracks. I did them myself for about $100/window about 4 years ago. Its really easy to do and its all done from inside the house (except for removing my old storm windows).

You get all the options and they all tilt in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tell the nimrods at home depot that you just want replacement sashes and tracks. I did them myself for about $100/window about 4 years ago. Its really easy to do and its all done from inside the house (except for removing my old storm windows).

You get all the options and they all tilt in.
are the sashes just as good as replacing complete window ? as far as quality and energy EF. ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Morning Guys

The wife and I are planning on some replacement windows, we need 8 for the 2nd floor of our home.

1) these are the window sizes, could you tell me if they are odd sizes? as the ---- from HD said they were and would require a custom window.

31" W x 56 1/2"H
31 1/2"W X 40 1/2" H

2) Who has the best design, with ease of installation in mind, wife would or should I say has to have tilt in design.

Thanks Bernie
Yes Sir, these are custom sizes and just a bit of advice-Do Not Order them from HD. You will thank me later.

·
Banned
556 Posts
you recommend Alside Excalibur ? you're joking right ! i certainyly hope so. what are you going to recommend next, silverline or american craftsman...LOL
you need to step up your game with identifying window quality my friend.

if the OP is using cheap windows and he runs into problems,he has no one to blame but himself.

·
Banned
556 Posts
yeah right..talk about the ghost of cheap windows ..LOL
i bet he buys another home depot window and reinvigorates this thread in another 2 years.I'm ready.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
you recommend Alside Excalibur ? you're joking right ! i certainyly hope so. what are you going to recommend next, silverline or american craftsman...LOL
you need to step up your game with identifying window quality my friend.

if the OP is using cheap windows and he runs into problems,he has no one to blame but himself.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::clap::thumbsup::clap:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts