Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you guys know that I am a commercial guy. I don't claim to know a lot about residential stuff, just enough to be dangerous.

I am getting ready to do some overdue work on my house (new roof, rework some soffits etc). One of the things I need to do is replace some windows and an exterior atrium door. I built the house in '93. Put in a high quality wood (inside and out) casement window, and have tried to keep them painted and caulked but some of them have rotted at the sills anyway and will have to be replaced.

I want a quality product, but the truth is the local University is buying up my neighborhood and I probly wont be here 10 to 15 years from now. I see some vinyl windows at Blowes that are suprisingly cheap. My wife says go cheap. What do you guys who do this every day think? Is there a happy medium?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I would not put Marvin into anything I was getting rid of.

I'd throw something like Jeld Wen or Plygem replacements in. Low cost. Decent product.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the problem is that I don't want to get rid of it. I built it with the intent to stay, but the writing is on the wall ever since the university decided our neighborhood should be in their "Master Plan Acquisition Zone":sad: We would stay here and retire here if we thought we could.

I like Marvin, Marvin is good. Nothing wrong with Jeld Wen either as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
OK. But would you put either one in your house?
Sure on a rehab. I put Crystal Windows in the house I live in now. Same kind of window as those mentioned above. I'm not a window snob. 95% of the vinyl windows I've installed were indistinguishable except for the locking hardware or balances.

If I were building something new that I planned to be in for a while, I'd probably put Marvin's Integrity line or another higher end window.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure on a rehab. I put Crystal Windows in the house I live in now. Same kind of window as those mentioned above. I'm not a window snob. 95% of the vinyl windows I've installed were indistinguishable except for the locking hardware or balances.

If I were building something new that I planned to be in for a while, I'd probably put Marvin's Integrity line or another higher end window.
Good info, thanks!

·
windows & siding
844 Posts
Don't by garbage, PLEASE! ... Vinyl windows may all look fairly close if you don't care to look at the details or specs, but there is a huge difference in quality. If you want to buy from a box store, get Simonton. Otherwise, go to a supply house or window dealer and get something decent like Okna, Softlite, Sunrise, Polaris, Gorell, Vytex and a few others. You'll be kicking yourself in 5 years if you go the super cheap route. I would not put the others mentioned above (with the exception of maybe Plygem ) in my own house.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not to derail thread..but I wanted to post this thought..I have installed mostly replacement windows in general since building stopped in 2006-07..for the most part it is decent money..every once in awhile I have been roped into a job that the windows were already ordered and not my measurements..these jobs are the ones that test you and make you earn every dollar.

This past weekend I had 7 windows to install in an occupied business. I scheduled them for Sat/Sun to cover my butt if I had any issues...

CBS structure, Aluminum Jeld-Wen Impact SH units..

We started at 7am..me and a helper..I almost cut my thumb off last Thursday so I was nursing 8 stitches and said I will handle the inside and you take the outside..he removed all trim and I removed blinds, screws and cut the caulk....

We had all 7 windows done (minus trim replacement) by 12:30...and I mean done..vacuumed inside, caulked, alarm magnets applied, etc..done!..

I was expecting 4 windows Sat and 3 windows Sat..it was beautiful..and my helper was thrilled..he made more in 5 hours than he did at his other job in 3 days (City utilities)..

We have one more unit left that has 6 windows..scheduled for this Sat..

Just thought I would post a " nice when a plan comes together" story..

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't by garbage, PLEASE! ... Vinyl windows may all look fairly close if you don't care to look at the details or specs, but there is a huge difference in quality. If you want to buy from a box store, get Simonton. Otherwise, go to a supply house or window dealer and get something decent like Okna, Softlite, Sunrise, Polaris, Gorell, Vytex and a few others. You'll be kicking yourself in 5 years if you go the super cheap route. I would not put the others mentioned above (with the exception of maybe Plygem ) in my own house.
That's the last thing I want to do is buy garbage. I need something middle of the road. And definitely not married to the big box stores. I will look at all of your suggestions, and Plygem. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
slowsol said:

Yikes the only upside to crystal is they are cheap. Last thing id put in my own house and i would be embarrassed to put them in a customers house. Their commercial aluminum stuff is nice though

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I've sold a couple ply gem window jobs lately and to be honest I think they are the best for the dollar window available to me.

Simonton is good as well.

·
windows & siding
844 Posts
I've sold a couple ply gem window jobs lately and to be honest I think they are the best for the dollar window available to me.

Simonton is good as well.
I don't know that I'd go that far... I will say though that they are one of the better choices widely available at supply houses, etc. The top performing products are generally only available dealer direct. Would you rather buy a window with a .29-.30 u value and .19cfm air infiltration rating (Plygem), or one with a .25-.26 and a .05-.01cfm AI for about the same price?.... Will those differences make a world of difference in energy savings? No but there will be some... But more importantly, the ratings are a great indicator of the materials and build quality that go into a product. Better ratings= better product= last longer and perform at a higher level for a longer period of time.
... I'd put Plygem and Simonton in the same tier of above average, decent products that are widely available, but neither are elite IMO.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I can get PlyGem's about 15.00 cheaper than any other unit and they are better than average. Plus I buy a lot of PlyGem siding so the rep is johnny on the spot for me. That means a lot to me.

I installed some a well known brand of windows last year that had some factory defects. The tech rep came from 3 states away and scheduling was a nightmare.

I have a good relationship with Simonton as well and have high confidence in there products and company.

I've installed a lot of different brands over the years and really haven't had much problems out of any of them. A good install will make a junk window perform good. A good install will make a good window perform great. That's been my experience.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts