Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at replacing two very old windows (over 20 years old) to the new vinyl. It will be a custom size 31 1/2" X 57".

Which one of the two brands would you choose and why?

Thermastar by Pella at Lowes OR,

American Craftman by Andersen at HD?

I will buy the double hung LoE. Your feedback is much appreciated.

:eek:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Why are you purchasing replacement windows (or any window) at HD or Lowes?

You are a "rennovator", why are you not using your window/door/building supply house - I am certain they would appreciate the business.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts

You are a "rennovator", why are you not using your window/door/building supply house - I am certain they would appreciate the business.
If he considers 20 to be
"very old," imagine his age. :whistling

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I'm looking at replacing two very old windows (over 20 years old) to the new vinyl. It will be a custom size 31 1/2" X 57".

Which one of the two brands would you choose and why?

Thermastar by Pella at Lowes OR,

American Craftman by Andersen at HD?

I will buy the double hung LoE. Your feedback is much appreciated.

:eek:
Harveys!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
66 Posts
i would'nt put american craftsman/silverline or pella thermastar in a dog house. they make the bottom of the barrel vinyl windows. unless you want to replace your windows in a year or two,stay away from low grade products.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Harveys offer a great service for the few warranty callbacks they get,and it's free!!!
One phone call to set up appointment,service guy comes out after setting up day/time,Bingo it's done.
No unfulfilled promises,or ordering delays as with the Big Box stores,they stock everything and return initial calls within one week.
I promise!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Click the anderson ad at the bottom of the page, CT can use the $$

Sure do ask a lot of basic questions for someone in the "rennovation" trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic
If he considers 20 to be
"very old," imagine his age. :whistling

never mind
"to the new vinyl."

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Those are the two options i have if i needed to know any brand apart from those two i mentioned i would have said so. Anything else you would like to add that could be helpful in my comparison of those two brands?

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Click the anderson ad at the bottom of the page, CT can use the $$

Sure do ask a lot of basic questions for someone in the "rennovation" trade
I guess you got the answer to your question about why i ask questions? New guy probably who joined to leanr some things from the pros? No?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I guess you got the answer to your question about why i ask questions? New guy probably who joined to leanr some things from the pros? No?
Where in MA are you from?

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Those are the two options i have if i needed to know any brand apart from those two i mentioned i would have said so. Anything else you would like to add that could be helpful in my comparison of those two brands?

Yea, they are both junk compared to what "rennovators" have access to at building supply houses....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Although HD and Lwes have their place, the time spent, problems, lack of true service you will run into (especially on a custom order) will show you why it's a bad idea to go there.

Pella and Andersen make nice windows, but HD an Lwes sell on price not quality, and the product line (grades) they carry reflect it.

Being new to the trades(?), it will serve you well to start where others have ended up, no need to go through all of the painful lessons, unless you really want to.

If you want suggestions on area suppliers, shoot me a PM.

Andrew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts