Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced there's, and is it easy for someone that's all thumbs? :laughing:

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Can't you just move it over a hair and re-cut? I have festool rails and in my research before buying them and read that somewhere I think.

There is a thread on here where they talk about how to remove and clean and reapply. Might be the same for yours?

·
GC/carpenter
43,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't you just move it over a hair and re-cut? I have festool rails and in my research before buying them and read that somewhere I think.

There is a thread on here where they talk about how to remove and clean and reapply. Might be the same for yours?
Thanks for that tip. My only concern is once I remove it will it stick again properly.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've repositioned and also replaced the splinter strips on a few of my festool rails quite a few times. I can reposition it about 2 or 3 times before it loses it's adhesion. A small rubber roller or a laminate roller really helps get a good bond. My longest rails are only 55" so if were to do a 118" I would remove about 2' at a time working my way down the rail. Replacing it completely is much easier because you can position the whole strip on the rail then peel the backing off from underneath like a piece of grace.

3M general purpose adhesive cleaner in an aerosol can will make very quick work of old glue left on the rail. It's great stuff to have around if your into car detailing just be caution around clear plastics.

A tip to getting a clean cut on the new strip is to put it on a sacrificial board, set the saw to the slowest speed and only cut through the strip a couple millimeters.

·
GC/carpenter
43,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks that's the info I was looking for. :thumbsup:

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts