Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced many double hung windows and have also replaced casements. But the casements I have replaced have all been in conjuction with siding replacement so we went back with an casement for new construction. We end up having to retrim the interior as well.
I am working up a quote on replacing casements with no siding repair so I need to go with a replacement casement window. I am having trouble getting my head around this. I spoke with my distributer and they tell me "Oh its the same as a double hung". But with a double hung you pull the stop off put the new window in and reinstall the stop, caulk and touch up the paint. With a casement the wood jamb is solid all the way to the caseing I dont see how to get the old out and new in with out removing the caseing or the brick moulding. Plus the replacement is 3 1/4" wide so I will still have to install a jamd extender or stop.

If anyone has a link to a pdf or picture of a replacement casement window or advise on the process I would appreaciate it. I have looked all over the web and cant find anything. I dont want to overbid and loose this job trying to cover my butt.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have replaced many double hung windows and have also replaced casements. But the casements I have replaced have all been in conjuction with siding replacement so we went back with an casement for new construction. We end up having to retrim the interior as well.
I am working up a quote on replacing casements with no siding repair so I need to go with a replacement casement window. I am having trouble getting my head around this. I spoke with my distributer and they tell me "Oh its the same as a double hung". But with a double hung you pull the stop off put the new window in and reinstall the stop, caulk and touch up the paint. With a casement the wood jamb is solid all the way to the caseing I dont see how to get the old out and new in with out removing the caseing or the brick moulding. Plus the replacement is 3 1/4" wide so I will still have to install a jamd extender or stop.

If anyone has a link to a pdf or picture of a replacement casement window or advise on the process I would appreaciate it. I have looked all over the web and cant find anything. I dont want to overbid and loose this job trying to cover my butt.
You need to carefully disassemble the old window taking off the stops that are on all 4 sides, take off the sash remove all the hardware, install the new window, and then put new stops on the inside, and either wrap the outside, or install new wood stops

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
with casement that are replacing casement in a retro fit situation, new stops inside and out are the only way it can be done. then recap exterior as budget allows either just the stops or the whole openings, this is why casement cost so much to replace, windows are spendy as well as increased labor and materials to install them....when they're replacing casements that is.

·
Registered
851 Posts
with casments I always include a full frame /trim replacment. You can always size close to the existing r.o. then spread the extension jambs if need be to meet the old paint lines. This way you replace the usually worst part of the window (frames), match or gain a little glass size, and youir cost of windows are usually much less than built to fit. At around $1100.00 per window its not cheap but I find I'm still in the park with champion, renewal etc

·
windows & siding
845 Posts
There is no need to tear out the whole frame if you want a replacement window. There are usually stops that are stapled onto all four sides that look like they are part of the frame but can be removed. They cant go back on though, we usually install 3/4" quarter round afterword.... They are actually pretty easy after you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
There is no need to tear out the whole frame if you want a replacement window. There are usually stops that are stapled onto all four sides that look like they are part of the frame but can be removed. They cant go back on though, we usually install 3/4" quarter round afterword.... They are actually pretty easy after you know what you're doing.
Until you deal with some of the old Pella's that have that design actually molded in and have to either down size the living chit out of the replacement window to fit between them, or chisel your lil azz off LOL!!! That's the ONLY thing i like about those POS andersons, they come apart easily...kinda scarey actually;)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Until you deal with some of the old Pella's that have that design actually molded in and have to either down size the living chit out of the replacement window to fit between them, or chisel your lil azz off LOL!!! That's the ONLY thing i like about those POS andersons, they come apart easily...kinda scarey actually;)
In our part of the country everyone has the 39x39 andersen double casement over the sink and we always install a replacement casement window.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts