Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Replace Challenger service panel, and re-use breakers?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Seven-Delta-FortyOne 
#1 ·
Subbing for a GC, and have been tasked with replacing a 30-slot panel with a 40-slot. He's taking a beating on material pricing due to Covid, so I'd like to save him a few bucks if I can.

That would entail re-using the existing breakers. Is that practical/advisable? What brand to go with for the new panel?

#3 ·
I usually go with Eaton/Cutler Hammer for panels, mostly because that’s what the local supply house has.

I’ve used the Square D/Homeline stuff, it seems fine, except that everything has to be bought through HD.

So if I need a simple ground bar or replacement breaker, I have to drive an hour and a half the closest HD. 😡

#4 ·
Yeah, the breakers are Challenger. I've never gotten a clear reading on whether the breakers or the buss are the problem.

I tend to favor Siemens, but have no particular problem with Square D. Both are pretty readily available here without much drive time. Another consideration is the form factor. Existing box has conduit on both bottom and side, as well as the usual umpty-gosh Romex on top. Would be nice to find a box that pretty well matches with corresponding punchouts.

Incredibly, the local AHJ has said I don't need to add AFCI or even get it inspected as long as the POCO doesn't get involved. o_O

#6 ·
I'd be hard-pressed to reuse the breakers for permanent installation. Temp use, yeah, until new breakers can be sourced. But truth be told, I'd just get a whole new panel with a passel of spiffy new breakers and call it a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.