Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be painting a stucco ceiling next week that requires some surface repair. My questions are about surface repair and what has worked for you.

There is a 12 inch crack that needs to be filled (not a very big crack, and not very wide, but noticeable) and an area 1 inch by 6 inchs long that peeled away, down to the drywall, due to water damage.

The stucco was sprayed on with a hopper..very small, fine popcorn texture. The ceiling has not been sealed with oil...so I will be painting it with oil. I don't intend to respray with a hopper...only do a touch up either with a stucco paste and sponge or one of those spray cans that spray an oil based stucco onto the wall (what a ####!! mess).

What's that best way to fill the 12 inch crack?? Again, it's not a wide crack, but noticable. I have used latex cauking in the past and painted over it with ok results....always shows. My worry about using just drywall mud / sheetrock 45 is that it may crack...although I really don't have enough experience with it fixing this repair...I could be wrong. At least caulking would be somewhat flexible for shifting.

So after filling the crack with latex, (and after sufficient drying time), I would apply either the sponge and compound and / or the spray can contents.

What would you recommend...what has worked for you??

Also, regarding the larger area (1 in x 6 in). I'm thinking to treat the exposed drywall with Zinsser Peel Stop or Gardz, applying drywall compound to smooth out affected area that had the peeling, priming that area and then spraying on the textured ceiling with the spray can.

Again, I have not had any luck with the spray can...gets clogged very easily. The stucco paste and sponge is a possibility but I really can't match the texture ceiling as it is very fine pariticles, popcorn like.

Your suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Guys,

Zeebo

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can buy a bug sprayer type texture gun. Relay inexpesive at menards OR HD. about 15.00
Great for repairs like the ones you are doing. you can adjust the size of the texture you want to pump out.

As for the small crack. In the past I have used caulk and a product that is called crack be gone in a spray can. Goes on like spray paint and is very flexiable. Requiers a few coats.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Crack be gone is an elastomeric that is supposed to bridge gaps....sometimes works ok. For that crack, try caulking two times to fill it properly, and make sure the excess caulk is blended into the surrounding surface so you don't have smooth area. A stucco ceiling is something I've never seen in my life though.....trying to think if I've ever seen stucco on an exterior/ porch ceiling but I don't think so.

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
Caulking twice with elastomeric grade caulking for repair.
If painting it I would do it after first coat because texture is soft
and you will mess it up.
Make sure everything is sealed enough and evenly or you may
get flashing through the flat finish.
You may still need to work some texture in and tell customer
it will be noticable.
Zinsser's odourless is a great primer and finish coat in one.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try1 said:
I asumed he was talking acustic texture IE popcorn texture.

That's correct...this is the type of ceiling I am talking about. George Z is right when he says that it is referred as stucco up in Toronto, Canada.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
George Z said:
Caulking twice with elastomeric grade caulking for repair.
If painting it I would do it after first coat because texture is soft
and you will mess it up.
Make sure everything is sealed enough and evenly or you may
get flashing through the flat finish.
You may still need to work some texture in and tell customer
it will be noticable.
Zinsser's odourless is a great primer and finish coat in one.

can you please give me an example of a name brand elastomeric grade caulking...I always use a paintable "painters" latex caulking for interior work....usually get it from Home Depot...is this what you are referring to.... give me a brand name (sorry, showing my ignorance)

Zeebo

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Sheesh...you got me with that one! :laughing:

I'm sorry guys, I had NO idea popcorn ceilings were called stucco up there! Wow....guess that's what being in the south does to you. When I first read the post I had no idea what to think... :eek: I was wondering where you'd get stucco patch (concrete) in a spray can, rofl!! :laughing:

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
Zeebo said:
can you please give me an example of a name brand elastomeric grade caulking...I always use a paintable "painters" latex caulking for interior work....usually get it from Home Depot...is this what you are referring to.... give me a brand name (sorry, showing my ignorance)

Zeebo
Available at RONA or Home Depot

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=4

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After researching this product you are suggesting I can see why you use it. I usually use the Dap, Alex Plus, 35 yrs, latex. The one that you are suggesting, from the same company, which is only $1.50 more, is for 50 years and appears to have a lot of flexibility which is what I guess you need for repairing cracks in stucco.

Thanks for the information.

Zeebo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts