Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came here to find some answers to a project that I will be working on. fortunately it is T&M. It is an older hotel in Portland, Or. It is amazing what craftsmen did 100 years ago-tin type ceilings, trompe lois, ornate hand crafted plaster and so on.
My project will be repairing large 3" x 6' raised panels stained a dark walnut. overtime people have used scotch tape to post various msgs on the panels you know what scotch tape does--removes the finish!
What do you think is the best method to finish the panels. Do not want to use strippers due to odor and the facility will not be closed down during this process.
any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,

swordlnr

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Very cool project, I love older buildings and walnut in particular. I have been hesitant to download my 'favorites' from my previous computer be cause this always winds up to be a half day affair for me. There are a number of eco-strippers available and I also have paper files on them, give me a day or two. Most smell like nothing and two have a citrus smell. They do take more time to work, up to 24 hrs for 7-8 layers. Let me know if you're interested. Otherwise sand and sand some more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Teetorbuilt

Thanks for your imput on the eco-strippers. I'm going to try one this evening to see how it works out. You don't have to go to the trouble of digging up your old files but you can help me sand if the stripper dosen't work.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
There is always the old tried and true method of scraping, fits well with a period home..........if you're Amish.
Truthfully, I scrape the fine furniture in yachts often and it doesn't take as long as one might think. No dust or chemicals either.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, most stains actually penetrate the wood and bleaching is about the only way that I know of to go about getting rid of it.
You want to use an A -B type such as Daly's or NuTone. Follow the directions to the letter! Use good gloves, eye protection and be careful as this stuff is caustic. Water will neutralize it so work near a water source just in case, I keep a 1/2 full 5gal. pail with a rag in it nearby just in case.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hey, I just wanted to report back I used a product made by Clean-Strip called Strip-X Stripper. It removed 3 years old - 1 layer or West Marine Epoxy, and one layer of stain, down to the bare wood underneath. This was a bench that has two carved horse heads on the back with intricate carvings of their manes blowing in the wind. This stuff got out every bit of stain in every nook and cranny, with just the use of a plastic brush and a spray with the hose.

The 3 layers of Epoxy on the seat had to be taken off with a belt sander, the stripper wouldn't dent it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts