Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in the hotel industry as a painter and we just completed 3M rennovation. IT LOOKS GREAT. I MAY ADD. Unfortunately i'm the only one in the engineering department that has any experience with stained & lacqored finishes. My problem is that there is cherry, birdseye maple, dark walnut in variuos areas. as you know these will be dinged, scratched, gouged by the waitstaff. the designers, archetects rarely consider maintaining these surfaces. Also time & ordor is a factor.
I have used miniwax putty sticks in the past and some time they work.since the rennovation completely new the owners want it to be maintain in a "like new condition"

Hopefull, someone can give me some suggestions.
Thanks
craig

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey ceebs.
To be honest with you, I've never done trim work in that magnitude.
But when I have repaired trim in the past:
-I fill in all the scrathes and grooves with a wood puddy
-Let it dry for 2 days
-Then give it a lite wet sand with mineral spirits and 120 grit paper
-Rinse off with water
-Wait another 2 days
-Then restain
-Varnish the next day.

Off course with this type of repair, I remove the trim and do it in the shop. For all the work I'll only do it for seriously scratched up trim.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
For a maintenance type of touch up on stained trim, I would most likely use straight stain, and rag it in when the trim gets damaged. For so much trim getting bumped constantly, you are probably wasting a lot of time if you try the putty-fill each one and restain etc.

Better yet, go to a high-end furniture store, and buy a couple t/u markers to match the stain you have. They work great, I have a dozen different colors in my truck at all times in case of an 'oops'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts