Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a call last night from a homeowner jackhammering up their basement to save $$ from me having to do it.....they hit their well water supply...looks like they didnt save any $ after all.

i dont think you can solder fittings underground...i thought it needed to be braised...

how would you handle a broken copper pipe underground?

braise?
sharkbites(i think they are underground legal)?
compression coupling?

i told him to call someone else...he called Friday night.....i bet he will end up paying $1,000 for someone to come fix it on the weekend.....if he can find someone to do it

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
If this is a water line from the main to the house, I would only use crimped or pressed connections... I know they harder to come by and more expensive, but repair is permanent, you forget about it.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
had a call last night from a homeowner jackhammering up their basement to save $$ from me having to do it.....they hit their well water supply...looks like they didnt save any $ after all.

i dont think you can solder fittings underground...i thought it needed to be braised...

how would you handle a broken copper pipe underground?

braise?
sharkbites(i think they are underground legal)?
compression coupling?

i told him to call someone else...he called Friday night.....i bet he will end up paying $1,000 for someone to come fix it on the weekend.....if he can find someone to do it
WTF is "braise" "braised" or "braising"? :blink:

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
I would think a flared compression is the proper way. All the water lines from the main, to the valve box, to the house is compression by me.

Reactions: flashheatingand

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont know how to braise or flare

i was pretty sure a sharkbite is code, but id never trust it underground

im glad i passed on the job....i didnt want to do it and work this weekend anyways....let the cheap homeowner pay more to repair his F up then he would have paid me to bust his floor.....

he need some cast iron repiped under the floor....we will see if he calls me to fix it or if the copper repair guy does it for him

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Ford Meter Box sells some great mechanical fittings that took the place of flared because that is a dying trade. I'm not saying there aren't some guys who know how to do a proper flared connection. There are. But, the art of making those connections is doing with them.

Compression is faster and easily taught compared to flare.

Ford compressions use a standard beveled gasket to seal the fitting and then ribbed copper to grab the pipe and prevent separation.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
What's weirded is soldered is allowed almost everywhere else's in the world under ground.

I wouldn't trust a sharkbite underground, I also wouldn't trust a compression fitting no matter if it was a brass or cooper olive.

I would trust a flare but there's no need to even use a flare fitting.

I have taken soldered joints to over 15bar hundreds of times and never seen a failure. not sure how sharkbites would be allowed and soldered not. This is just proof hat some codes are pathetic and baseless.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I think a lot of code is changed by lobbyist vying for their new product to be the only product permissible. That doesn't mean it's the best. Just the only product permitted.

If it was MY house, I'd solder it and be done.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts