Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new favorite TV show.... It's on right now, Wednesday, 10:30pm HGTV

Two schoolteachers in NYC decide to renovate their kitchen with a $1000 budget. In the first five minutes, they've determined that studs run horizontal, and they're sure the BX cable in the wall is a gas line. :shutup:

Pass the popcorn....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wait till you see the one where a guy decides to cut a gas line with a sawzall. Lucky for him it turned out to be an old disconnected line.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
That show is hilarious. My favorite is the one where the guy remodels his kitchen. He installs the wall cabinets first, then when removing the old lower cabinets the wall cabinets fall off. He sends his mom to the home store to buy new cabinets and a counter top, which then flies out of the truck and breaks when driving back to the house. She then has to go back and buy another one.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
My new favorite TV show.... It's on right now, Wednesday, 10:30pm HGTV

Two schoolteachers in NYC decide to renovate their kitchen with a $1000 budget. In the first five minutes, they've determined that studs run horizontal, and they're sure the BX cable in the wall is a gas line. :shutup:

Pass the popcorn....
Episode #20,my fave :laughing:.
"I think it's a gas line"....lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wait... are you saying there are some instances where studs don't run horizontal? I gotta' check this one out -- sounds like fun!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've never watched that show. I just checked and it is on at 1:30 am here on HGTV. Will be on in 20 minutes so I will watch it for the lulz!

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I've never watched that show. I just checked and it is on at 1:30 am here on HGTV. Will be on in 20 minutes so I will watch it for the lulz!
yep, a DIY complete kitchen remodel in 3 days. :thumbup:

Stay tuned. I don't think they get it done on time :laughing:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great show. Wish they'd play it more often. Contractors would get a lot more calls.

Rather than the Home Depot shows that say that everybody should try do all their projects on their own - then again, I guess I have had a few jobs where the home owner started a job, and basically gave up and needed our help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to remodel a lot of bathrooms. More than a few times I got a job from a HO who decided to do a tear out and remodel over the week end.
Love those DIY's.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Great show. Wish they'd play it more often. Contractors would get a lot more calls.

Rather than the Home Depot shows that say that everybody should try do all their projects on their own - then again, I guess I have had a few jobs where the home owner started a job, and basically gave up and needed our help.
Let's think about this...."wish they'd play it more often. Contractors would get more calls."
Now you understand what you wrote, i understand what you wrote, we ALL understand what you wrote and probably were thinking the same thing....BUT when you slow it down and think about it, the real cold hard truth about it....we all know that the millions of homies watching that show are actually laughing at the people on the television and thinking how stupid they are...not fully understanding that they themselves make up the social group being televised....

just say'n is all i'm say'n....:laughing:

I caught a show that sounds kinda like this one, it showed two, i think *****, teachers or something doing something to their house, tearing out walls, creating a wider opening in a load bearing wall, etc...a multitude of technical duties. Then at the end of the show they had text on the screen, something like sheri and teri budgeted 5 days and $1000. They themselves worked on it for like 2 weeks and actually cost them $5000. Finally they realized they had to call in professionals to redo, fix, and refinish the project at a cost of $10,000 :laughing::laughing::laughing: i cant remember exact numbers but it was like that...i was laughing so hard the wife came in and asked WTF??

·
JFRAME
79 Posts
I think I've seen them all and the best is the pussy girls soccer coach tries to build his own deck in a weekend,he drops a board right through a window,can't get lumber,falls through the joist,and has his 70yro neighbor help him.You guys gotta see this one!

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I think I've seen them all and the best is the pussy girls soccer coach tries to build his own deck in a weekend,he drops a board right through a window,can't get lumber,falls through the joist,and has his 70yro neighbor help him.You guys gotta see this one!
Here we go. You MUST wait until the end of the clip for the ultimate punchline. Not the complete show though. I have yet to hear any of them say "what I learned is to hire a professional"

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Or the one in new jersey where hes doin his deck in the winter and fights with the city so he doesnt get permits. Has his house painted pepto bismol colors cuz they made him paint it. Digging post holes, hits some cavernous brick structure in the bottom of the hole and just covers it with concrete.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I gave up on that channel years ago, I don't watch much TV anyway. That one has always bugged me.

Lemme see. Were're going to redo a room for $500 AND use a Designer. MY designers get $200-250 an hour. The project is over budget just in Designer fees before any work starts.:eek:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wait till you see the one where a guy decides to cut a gas line with a sawzall. Lucky for him it turned out to be an old disconnected line.
I saw this last night. I was almost screaming at the TV. Then I realized that

a) Its a "reality TV show" which means there must be some kind of technical adviser and safety officer to make sure the film crew doesn't get into something that will get them injured just like that show on Discovery (which is pretty good) called Dirty Job's. There is a safety officer who has to approve all of the things the host does

b) Its a "reality TV show" which means that it was done for effect. Because *NOBODY* can be *THAT* stupid!

I have to admit they had me in the beginning. I just couldn't believe what he was doing... The *IDIOT*, after demo'ing a load bearing wall that he prop's up with what looks like a 2 x 6 and two stacks of bricks see's this pipe, thinks its gas, can't find the shutoff, tries to trace it back to its source and when he can't goes at it with a sawzall! Nicks it then *SMELLS* gas in it and says "What's the worst that could happen? The house would blow up" then goes ahead and cuts it over his wife's objections!

What worries me is that some other idiot will watch this, get hit by the "idea faerie" and try this themselves. Of course the flip side is that it does remove one more person from the shallow end of the gene pool.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Oh my gosh...Episode 39.... HILARIOUS!

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Episode #26 is a must see...HO has some jackleg helping her remodel her bathroom...What a mess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts