Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on a pretty significant renovation on a turn of the century home in Portland. Well, they didn't have ANY insulation in the home, so the big insulating truck with cellulose came in to do their job.

There was a slight issue at the double pocket door. Insulation went everywhere. What a mess. So I had to be the one to go outside and cut into the exterior 1x's and dig all this crap out. As I am vac'ing things up, I ca,e across am old newspaper, that had unfortunately been shredded mostly by the force of the insulation being blown in. What I could salvage is shown. It's too bad, it looked in decent shape beforehand.

·
Super Moderator
28,850 Posts
That's really cool. Like a step back in history.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I found a mint condition 1970s McDonald's big Mac Styrofoam once, and a mummified cat locked in a hoarders closet. Not quite as cool.

·
Money Maker
852 Posts
Pretty neat. I've found papers from the 30s-80s on some beach homes last year. Mostly used the fill a hole in the wall before putting Spackle on the wall lol.

I found some mint condition 40s papers inside an old home that we demoed. Stupid laborer threw them out when I specifically told them not to touch them and put them by my truck

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Thats in pretty good shape, usually they fall apart as soon as they are handled. Oldest I found was 1930's but in terrible shape.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not nearly as historic, but I found these beer cans in the walls of a 60's ranch we gutted last month. Also found the original blueprints to the home hidden in a closet which turned out to be helpful.

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
totes said:
Not nearly as historic, but I found these beer cans in the walls of a 60's ranch we gutted last month. Also found the original blueprints to the home hidden in a closet which turned out to be helpful.
I've been drunk on everyone of those except the blitz

Edit: maybe the blitz but I just don't remember

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
I have a ton of newspaper. I save all of it. Going to do a collage wall in the bar of my dream home one day.

I found some hand written poetry from a guy named Robert Shaw too. I swore up and down he was a famous poet but I could never find anything about him. Cool stuff nevertheless..

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
ohiohomedoctor said:
I have a ton of newspaper. I save all of it. Going to do a collage wall in the bar of my dream home one day. I found some hand written poetry from a guy named Robert Shaw too. I swore up and down he was a famous poet but I could never find anything about him. Cool stuff nevertheless..
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/robert-b-shaw

·
Money Maker
852 Posts
ohiohomedoctor said:
I have a ton of newspaper. I save all of it. Going to do a collage wall in the bar of my dream home one day. I found some hand written poetry from a guy named Robert Shaw too. I swore up and down he was a famous poet but I could never find anything about him. Cool stuff nevertheless..
Seems you were right lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts