Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I would do this the same way I'd do it for an added door or window in brick. I wouldn't attempt to saw anything. I chip out and salvage brick so that I can have proper finished edges in the brickwork and any necessary lintels. If you cut the brick, you're likely to cut through a hole in some and have that exposed. I have seen it done where the opening was finished out with wood and had wood trim on the surface of the brick. That looks tacky and doesn't match the other openings.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
If your going to do it, go big...through an arch in there and through wall lead flash. Maybe give the doggy a motion light as per doggy code :laughing:

Is this brick veneer or solid? If it's solid figure on ripping out plaster on the inside that usually furred to the back up block or brick...fun fun, bring your arbortech and vacuum.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Have you had good luck with the Arbortech? I've heard mixed reviews.
In my opinion one of the best must haves. The blades are costly, but the first time you use one and the brick
is intact and reusable the end justifies the means.
Dust much less than grinders and much safer / user friendly. I'd take it over a crack chaser blade on a re-p
oint job also. When we first used them they were perfect for cutting missed weeps.
They will cut head joints all the way out without disturbing the bricks above and below. Very professional result, as with every hand tool there is a small learning curve.
Never heard any cons in reference to them? We have about 5 now.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I heard that they weren't up to the job they claimed they could do, bog down in harder mortar, blade gets dull quick etc.... Maybe there are different models. They've certainly come down in price from when I first saw them, I might get one if I get an addition that will require 50' of toothing in

·
Registered
502 Posts
Arbortech use to let you try before you buy. We used a demistration model for 30 days. That was back when they were new on the scene I guess 10 years ago or so. They were very pricey in those days and the blades were the hardest pill to swallow. Never had a bogg down. We cut type S the entire time. We are held to unusual tolerances with chips we push the envelope as to cut down on waste / culls. Every now and then the ACOE will make us change a chipped brick out and a shiner here and there. So out comes the Arbortech and a few minutes later we cross item off punch list.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
When i first saw them they were $1500, then a few years later they were down to $1200, now they're just over $1000. Maybe time to pick one up. Would be nice to be able to do a plunge cut

·
Registered
677 Posts
I like my aborteck but don't love it, have had it for 4 years now, great for restoration work, anything with soft joints, hard mortar no chance, Despite what the ad says, the teeth chip of the blades quick and they ain't cheap to replace.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts