Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My area, Orlando Florida, has many roofs that were done with staples, now not allowed by code. With recent hurricane force winds (Charley) many roofs were damaged.
Of the roofs that are not totally ripped off, can we "renail" with a nail-gun? (The shingle seal will come loose and bend up without breaking). I understande that we would need to lay a sealant bead down to reseal the shingles.
I have noticed on three roofs that you can "lift" a shingle and see a big section of roof lift with the shingle, indicating that the roof is loose. A big wind gust underneath these shingles would strip the roof!

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't think it is a good idea to re-nail large areas. I would think hand tabbing all of the old shingles with tabbing cement would be best. Getting that many new nails in would be tough on the shingles. You'll probably pop a few nail heads through the shingles and folding them up enough to really get at the nails might crack them. If you have to.....I have a flattened wonder bar I use to do this....lift the shingle above enough to get a nail stuck into the lower shingle with your fingers. Slide the wonder bar in until the end is laying on top of the nail head. Pound the bar until the nail is in.
Jim

G

·
DIY in Florida???

I'm also in Orlando...same Hurricane damage as above. I'm a modest DIY'er and have layed a small roof in Indiana a number of years ago.

I've run into sites stating that roofing must be done by a licensed roofer. And new legislation now lets General Contractors help after Charley came through too. Does this mean I can't roof my own house? Or is it just an attempt to keep 'bad' contractors out of houses?

Any guidance for Florida would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can do it yourself. Homeowners can act as their own contractors without a licence in every state I know of. Call and ask your local building dept. I do not have a General contractor's licence, but have built 2 homes over the years. In Utah, the home must be your primary residence.
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts