Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK So im bit OCD here, but here goes.

I do a lot of drywall wall repaint for a commercial client throughout the year at various locations. These walls are repainted 3-4 times a year. We typically spackle, spot prime, and roll on 1 coat of paint, as part of the refresh program. While the paint looks great, its the roller stipple that bothers me. We use 1/2" microfiber sleeves for repaints, and it leaves a great finish. But after being repainted so many times over and over, the stipple becomes a bit bigger.

You professional painters know exactly what I'm talking about. The client doesn't complain about, mostly because its not really noticeable , unless you know what to look for, but for my own satisfaction, i wanted to see if there is something that can be done.

Could i actually use like a high build primer , for like a fresh start?

Or could i actually use a drywall sander and actually sand the wall smooth, then repaint.

Merry Christmas !

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Ive got the PC sander, and it takes no time at all to scuff the walls for a repaint.. It really smooths it out and helps remove any greases/dirt too..

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
You can sand the stipple down but you might need to skim coat if you're going for a smooth wall. I would ask your customer which they prefer first, what's bothering to you might be preferable to someone else. What kind of paint and what nap roller are you using?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Adding another layer of primer will magnify the stipple. You could sand it all, or just sand the corners and skim the rest.

If the customer knows you are doing this, they probably wontind paying a bit more. A good customer will pay more for quality.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have never had anyone complain about the orange peel effect left by rolling,imho you are worrying to much and I have to say I use 3/4 nap lambswool/sheepskin most times.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If it is an enameled wall and has a spotlight on it and is a focal point in the room or something, I'd use a 1/8" nap. Otherwise, like others have said, you're being too picky.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts