Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have someone asking me if I can get powder coating off of thin aluminum sheet metal without warping? Was going to try soda but I know powder coating is tough so it may not work. Any ideas?

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I think you can do it with soda. I would still tell them all you can do is your best and if you see it start to bend you can stop. Their decision if they want you to continue. At least a minimum charge even if you can't finnish. Soda and time aren't free. I would give a labor price and a per pound soda price. It might take quite a bit for powder you don't want to give a low ball price and regret it while your working.

·
Registered
18 Posts
soda strips powder off. I have stripped a good bit of powder off of 4wheeler frames, wheels, and other things with soda. depending on the thinkness will depend on how fast it comes off. Its just like stripping paint.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Four Wheeler frames and steel wheels are thicker metal objects. The question was about removing powder coating from Thin Aluminum Sheet Metal which WILL WARP due to friction and heat stress of removing the powder coating off.

Use some Aircraft Grade Chemical Stripper and strip off the coating and then you can come back over the surface with the Soda at a low pressure and DO NOT stay in one place long. This will help clean it up better. Also, Dispose of the spent Chemical Stripper according to your Federal, State and Local Laws.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm going to be at his house getting some graffiti off a home he is rebuilding, and he is bringing some parts with him to blast from a sand rail. He said he uses chemical stripper but hates it wants something different. The parts he is going to test with can be damages he said so well give it a shot.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
The parts he is going to test with can be damages he said so well give it a shot.
Kell That sounds like the best way to find out.
Lets us Know how you made out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try getting some "Gun wash" from napa. Its the stuff they use to clean automotive paint guns it takes a whole lot of stuff off easy...including skin and latex gloves. I would still do a light soda blast afterwards to make sure the surface is realy clean, I'm not sure how well paint would adhere to gun wash...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Powdercoat is put on with an electrostatic charge, so i wonder if you couldnt somehow reverse the charge to aid in removal.
Powder Coating is either a ThermoPlastic or a ThermoSet coating. The electrostatic is only used to make the powder attracted to the piece that is being coated. A ThermoPlastic coating can be converted back by heating. A ThermoSet uses a Chemical reaction and once solid will not convert back. Like I said before a strong chemical stripper should take it off, and then a good cleaning to finalize the process.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The customer was wanting to not use a stripper he said it was messy and his friend had burned his skin a couple of times not sure why they don't wear gloves. I told him we probably could get it off steel tubing with abrasives but that thin sheet metal they probably need to use stripper.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I stripped a good size piece of metal roofing a few months back to show a guy how soda works.

I don't know if the metal your doing is as thick as metal roofing?
but the paint on the roofing is a baked on finnish from Home D?
came off with little work, no damage.

would walnut shell work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
How thin is the piece. I have taken powder off of aluminum that I would guess was about 14-16ga. It was the wheel insert for dirt track cars which are thin enough you can bend it by hand. I didnt damage it blasting with soda. Depending on what they are planning on doing with the pieces after, certain chemical stripper could stain the aluminum. So polishing it after would be out.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Chemicle paint stripping isn't exactly new. If it worked like magic no one would ever call on us. It's toxic, messy ,expensive and slow. If a blaster has any trouble blasting powder coating it's usually that they felt forced to give a price and they under estimate what's needed, not that it's hard to get off. Honestly it's just paint, Iv'e done a ton of it but I made sure my hands were not tied and I used what I needed. Blasting costs money. When it's unknown it's labor plus material.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts