Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered that I have some paint spatters on a hardwood floor finished about a year ago. The paint is latex, but the spatters have been there a while (I discovered them at the end of a long project). What is the best, fastest way to remove them without damaging the finish?

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
If the finish on the floor is oil or solvent based you can get them off with Goo Gone or Goof Off or a simalar product. Those work great for removing latex paint but won't harm oil coatings that have had a chance to full cure. That said put a little on a rag and gently dab at the latex paint, rub at it only slightly. be careful because they may still dull a glossy finish if you apply too much pressure for too long.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
I agree with Humble, but I use a different product for that. It's called brush cleaner. You can pick it up at any SW store. You can actually thin it down with water too if need be. It's what I use to remove paint from almost ANY surface it gets on that it shouldn't be. Works great on hardwood floors, should just wipe right up...also works good on carpet, but test for color fastness...Door hardware, window casings, etc that get paint on them and shouldn't, the brush cleaner is the key. When you're done, soak your brushes in it too, woot! Even the worst brush can be made like new with this stuff and a wire brush....

·
Professional Tradesman
307 Posts
eddiemac said:
I discovered that I have some paint spatters on a hardwood floor finished about a year ago. The paint is latex, but the spatters have been there a while (I discovered them at the end of a long project). What is the best, fastest way to remove them without damaging the finish?
Denatured Alcohol...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Dull a razor scraper to where it doesn't dig in but pops the tops. I can't describe it much better than this. When you get one right, the edge will fold after awhile. Flip it over and keep going.
I use flexible putty knives cut down to 1-1/2" long and resharpened like a wood chisel, scrape head gaskets or something until it is about half dull.
This tool will become a part of you, matchting your movements. If you want to spped up the 'seasoning' of this tool, go out on theside walk and pretend that you are scraping gaskets off of the pavement, flip the blade over from time to time. Next, treat it like a fine knife and repeat the above over a variety of finer surfaces. You can even strop it but don't let the edge get too sharp or it will dig. A really good one of these will take you about 10 yrs, to make. I have 3.
It has to fit you, your arm motion and you have to know how to use it, which side at what time.
My choice of tools for what you are faced with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts