Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job to do coming up this weekend that involves removing gray paint from a 16' X 16' concrete patio. It has Lowe's paint for garage floors on it and after 7 years it's flaking and cracking off. He wants to strip it and do something different. The patio has the house along one side and grass on the other 3. There is only one place that I can damage and that's the steps into the house have vinyl siding on 3 sides. I planned on using duct tape to protect the siding. I don't think it will be hard to remove the paint but my question is how long would you expect it to take you to do this job? I will be using a Geoblaster and I don't think I'll be having any clean up since it will all disappear into the grass. The grass is literally 4" taller than the surface of the patio. I will do it on an hourly charge since this is the first time I've done anything like this. I'll try and get 2 pictures attached if I can.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the time estimate. I'm hoping to be done in 2 hours or less.

It will be New Age 40/70 glass. I use Polyken tape. It's not generic duct tape. Polyken makes tons of different "duct" tapes with different thicknesses and coatings. Some are solvent and flame resistant. I'll see how well it holds up Saturday.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I finished up the paint removal on the patio last Saturday. It didn't go anywhere near my time expectations. I'm sure I'm to blame for most of that. The homeowner was late getting back home to start at 12:00, then had to move some things off the patio and I helped him on a couple of items. Got everything out and taped around the step to protect the vinyl siding, the Polyken tape worked fine. By then it was already 12:45. Had 100' of blast hose out to reach the back of the house. I think this is why I got into so much more time. I had it (Geo-blaster) set at 40 psi from the previous job and New Age 40/70 and it seemed to be taking the paint off in an acceptable rate. I upped the water to 3/4 of a turn and the abrasive to 3/4 turn and it seemed ok. Funny thing was when I would start it seemed to clean a little better before the water got there so I backed the water down to the lowest setting. Along the way I turned up the psi a little to eventually get to 60 psi. I did not want to tear off the smooth layer on top of the concrete. In hindsight I'm sure my blast pressure after 100' of hose was not as much as it should have been. Two of the four squares of the patio came off much harder than the first two for some reason.....maybe less sun exposure? This was my first time removing paint from concrete. The grass around the patio trapped most of the glass on the patio so I had to clean that up which was not anticipated. I went through 450# of glass which was way more than I thought I would use. In the end I was there over 5 hours. More time than I and the homeowner anticipated. I still made money but left some on the table. I'm bidding a job with painted floors this week and now will know better what to expect.

Lots to learn. These are the jobs you guys warned about that will cost money.

How much pressure drop did I have after 100' of blast hose?

Any other suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
No he means they as in Clemco. Go to their website fill out a form and get your two books for free. They are the leader in abrasive blasting equipment. Been in business longer than anyone else.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sent a request for the books this afternoon. I actually thought I did this months ago when I started looking for equipment, but must have never got it done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glen,
From what i could see it did not look like I dug in anywhere. I did tell the homeowner he needed to get it sealed as soon as possible since it was virgin clean. Hopefully he has done that by now.

Betterblast I got the books from Clemco this weekend and have started reading them. Lots of info in them.

Somewhat along this topic I did a test blast indoors on a 4'X4' area to remove water based stain (brownish orange color) off of concrete with 30% acrylic sealer over it. It was acid etched first then stained and then sealed. The guys I did it for sell the products that I removed. I had out 100' of blast hose and turned up the pressure to 90 psi. Set the Geoblaster to barely any water and 1/4 turn on the abrasive. Removed instantly.....Turned down to 50 psi and same result just a little slower. This is not stain from a big box store, these guys sell to the construction trades pretty much 100%. I think we all were a little bit surprised how fast it came off. We might do another test down the road of some acid based stain and see how it comes out. These guys can get me lots of work removing sealer, stain, and prepping concrete for coating. Hope it works for all of us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts