Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
stacker said:
not if it is a question on brick.:rolleyes:sorry im a smart azz,but it has to do with masonry and this is a masonry forum.
anyway,i agree sandblasting with sand would damage the face of the brick and make it more suseptable to slacking.i have heard of using ground walnut shells for sandblasting,this might work also.
So im right.. :thumbsup:

Hi,
I hope you are well. Curious how it went getting the mastic off the brick? I bought an old school and just removed the chalkboards to find similar black pucks of mastic all over the beautiful brick.

What would you recommend to remove it? Do any solvents prove useful? I have 10,000 square feet of it so also looking off the least time consuming way while preserving the bricks as much as possible.

Thank you for your help

Questions, type of brick (soft red , hard , cmu)? Finial finish going for, natural brick , paint? Is the mastic soft or hard or something in between?
Search mastic removers if you want to go the chemical route. Try chipping it away in a trial spot and see how deep it has penetrated into the surface of the brick and if you can live with that deep of a chunk being gone.
The only non intuitive thing that I’ve seen used on undercoating ( kind of similar product )is dry ice and a needle descaler . The dry ice hardens the material by freezing it and the needles pulverized it from the surface without doing to much damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.