Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove a wall but am not sure if it's loadbearing or not. The house was built in the 60's with trusses. The garage runs the depth of the house without any supports (26') but the rest of the house has a wall running through the middle. Any advice or should I call a structural engineer?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
sounds like it's not load bearing, but if i was you I would install a header with posts at each end just to be sure. besides if you bos it in it makes a nice place fore recessed can lights on a dimmer switch. If your taking out a long area of the wall, check on micro lams at your local lumber yard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
just knock it down and if the roof falls in then it is a load bearing wall... LOL just kidding, i am not completely sure on where you are talking about taking down the wall but it is always better to be safe than sorry, either you are going to pay for supports glulams or microlams, or you are going to pay for a structural engineer to come look at it, either way it will cost you some money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi. If I were you, Id check if there are truss members located directly above the wall; either a single vertical piece above the wall or two pieces angled at a point down to the top of the wall. If the bottom chord of the truss is bare above the wall [nothing above it] then the roof load was not designed to bear at that spot and you should be ok.[I think]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi. If I were you, Id check if there are truss members located directly above the wall; either a single vertical piece above the wall or two pieces angled at a point down to the top of the wall. If the bottom chord of the truss is bare above the wall [nothing above it] then the roof load was not designed to bear at that spot and you should be ok.[I think]
Good call though! If there are webs converging directly over the wall or a vertical web, it was designed with that wall as being a bearing. The trusses may work without it (it could have been picked up to avoid deflection in the bottom chord) or they may be dependent on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts