Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Went to Home Depot instead of my tile wholesaler to save time and picked up CEG-Lite Commercial Epoxy Grout it dried really fast and has left a haze on the Porcelain Tile which I could not take off without pulling the grout out. Does anyone know of a cleaning agent I can try on the tile to get rid of the residual haze once the grout joint have dried.:rolleyes:

Thanks

http://www.shiptonconstruction.com

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Not sure that I would use sulfamic acid on epoxy grout, but I have never really had an issue after my first installation and I just used the haze remover made for that product. Also found that Scrubby Bubbles worked awesome.

I would first consult your manufacture. Below is the link to the PDF they have for haze clean up.

PDF

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Custom's epoxy. Their data sheet sucks and pretty much only indicates water cleanup with a little, unspecified, dish soap. Depending on how old the installation is this might do the trick with a white scrubby. Vinegar solution is typically the key to removing epoxy haze on a new installation but I'd definitely recommend you contact the manufacturer for their 2 cents.

A few companies make epoxy haze stripper that is suitable for applications that have gone through a longer curing period.

When did you install the grout?

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Custom's epoxy. Their data sheet sucks and pretty much only indicates water cleanup with a little, unspecified, dish soap. Depending on how old the installation is this might do the trick with a white scrubby. Vinegar solution is typically the key to removing epoxy haze on a new installation but I'd definitely recommend you contact the manufacturer for their 2 cents.

A few companies make epoxy haze stripper that is suitable for applications that have gone through a longer curing period.

It actually lists two products to use. Page 3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

About 9 hours ago. I will try a few things the Sulfamic acid is not for removing Epoxy based materials. I will not use that stuff again for large areas.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It actually lists two products to use. Page 3.
On their website they listed a cleaner Aqua Mix NanoScrub but cannot get it here in Calgary. thanks for your help folks will get back with the results tomorrow. What is clear I will not be using CEG-Lite Commercial Epoxy Grout unless I have help cleaning up as I go along grouting.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
On their website they listed a cleaner Aqua Mix NanoScrub but cannot get it here in Calgary. thanks for your help folks will get back with the results tomorrow. What is clear I will not be using CEG-Lite Commercial Epoxy Grout unless I have help cleaning up as I go along grouting.
Can you get Miracle Sealants Co. products there? They make an epoxy grout film remover.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nano scrub does not work.

You will need something with methlmine chrolide in it. It will turn the haze into little saltlike grains. Try to get it in the gel form.

I bought mine from Aldon chemical but you can use Zipstrip brand paint stripper as well.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
About 9 hours ago. I will try a few things the Sulfamic acid is not for removing Epoxy based materials. I will not use that stuff again for large areas.:thumbsup:
It's used until it's at full cure, that's what those packets are in the laticrete kit iirc

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
Well, yeah sulfamic acid is used for epoxy grout haze.

http://www.daltile.com/information/care-and-maintenance

It's also the active ingredient in Lime-Away.

I also know that MEK is excellent for removing epoxy - but you said "large area", and MEK is nasty stuff.

Betcha its a long-azzed time before you use epoxy grout again!:jester:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well, yeah sulfamic acid is used for epoxy grout haze.

http://www.daltile.com/information/care-and-maintenance

It's also the active ingredient in Lime-Away.

I also know that MEK is excellent for removing epoxy - but you said "large area", and MEK is nasty stuff.

Betcha its a long-azzed time before you use epoxy grout again!:jester:
The best cure for epoxy haze is learn how to grout properly and you won't have to contend with haze.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm curious about the CEG-Lite. Does it harden faster than other epoxy grouts? Which epoxy grout do you normally use? Just looking for comparisons.
Prism epoxy grout goes on better than even regular grouts and explains the time required to start cleaning up.

mistake I made was spreading on to large an area with a untried epoxy grout. My bad. Thanks for the help what I ended up doing was applying sulfamic acid with water and razor blades it worked great with a lot of elbow grease.
Then I opened the final box bucket of Ceg-Lite and grouted the last wall with no problems...... Because I gave myself plenty of time and never used a sponge just clothes and water the joints came out good no mess. What is good about epoxy grout it has a plasticine like texture and is easy to fill any small joint holes missed and joint lines look more consistent.

Http://www.shiptonconstruction.com

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Lati 377 is 100% citric acid, with a second part neutralizing agent. It works almost like it was made for such things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts