Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job lined up to remove graffiti from a limestone block building that is about 3 years old so it's in really good shape. They already had a powerwasher come in and all he did was take some of the red off. It's a very smooth surface. What I am wondering is what would you guys use for this? I was thinking of using soda so as to not remove too much of the limestone. What would you guys charge for this? The building is only about 15 minutes away from my shop. Here are a couple pictures:

·
Registered
93 Posts
My equipment will be in tomorrow, so I've yet to blast yet. But I love looking at situations where a power washer failed and perhaps a soda (multi media) blaster will succeed. Again I haven't blasted anything, but I'll take a stab at it from what I've read on here: $300, with soda or walnut. Should take about 30 minutes. I would guess it would look nice to blast the whole middle section and top row of bottom section if it needs blended. Again, I am as new as they come so don't take my word, I'm just waiting for others to reply to see if I'm learning. :)

I love seeing before and after pics! It is the best way to learn and share!!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
It no longer apears to be a coating. It may be in the pours which means it may take an abrasive to wear it down some but I would try soda first just to see. If you have to move to a fine abrasive first cover the carp out of all that glass and metal trim. And I might look to see if the same stone is on a side of the building less conspicuous to do a test and get the ok for the front from who ever is paying for it. Best of luck.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Limestone is very soft, compared to many other types of stone. When we get finished stone pieces for a pillar cap or even Quoin's they have been buffed with a grinder and an meduim to fine grit paper. This process takes out the lines that exist from the milling process.

I would bet a buffalo nickel you could buff them out with paper on a grinder. Do not use a diamond wheel or other hard abrasive wheel. It will cut into the stone like it was butter. If you take your time and keep it even, you will be able to erase the markings and make the stone look like a brand new replacement stone. After a year or so, the fresh look will fade and match the other stone very closely.

Leave the blaster at home for this one, but bring a shop vac cause your going to make dust like you have never seen before.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Use fine glass and stand back about 10' and move closer as needed. There is going to be a mark on the wall no matter what you use. By stand back you might be able to feather it in. Just a light dusting will do it. Big city $350.00, small town, $200.00, of course this is with glass. Not up on the whole soda thing. Depending on your set up and prep work you have to do, it wont take you 15 min. of blast time to knock it off. Clean up is blowing it all away because you will use less than 100lbs of glass. I've done several graffiti removal jobs on stone and the fine glass works like a charm!! You just have to try and blend/feather it all in with dusting. Post results when you get done and good luck! Oh and it looks like all you might need for prep work is to 4x8 sheets of ply wood. Stand one up on each side to cover both windows and blast away.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
that limestone is soft. I would try soda with a water ring to sofen the blow.
It makes a mess, but buying a new stone cost more.
did a school with grafitti, had to use a water ring, I learned it works slow because it softens the impact of the soda.
but the soda in the ends still cleans just as well.

Cold weather would be a problem or no water close by???

that spray looks like a etching paint, that means its inbedded in the pore's of the stone.

let us know how it goes in the end

cover that window!!!

Maybe a quick go over with an orbital hand sander with 80 grit paper to smooth off the face of the stone. after blasting

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Might be better off going chemical, whatever you decide put a paragraph in your contract that covers you should there be some noticable changes to the limestone, and of coarse test an area behind the bushes. GMOD

·
Mr Blaster
75 Posts
Crushed glass! Dial the pressure down to 90, hit area of paint and lower stone piece. Bring 2 signs to stake in the area to get some free advertising!!! Forget the sander, and definately forget the chemical. You will have it bleeding down and making a bigger mess. Blast with Glass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.