Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer/friend that wants us to blast glue residue from her concrete porch. They had glued carpet down and the glue has almost become a part of the concrete it is so hard. Any suggestions? I was thinking fine crushed glass but I am afraid of the dust just being overwhelming. They have it on their front porch and their side entrance little porch, both are concrete.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Oil or WD40 will make the adhesive pull away from the concrete. You will have to use a degreaser to remove the oil though.
Steve

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If your going to blast the concrete just use a water ring attached to your blast nozzle. This will help to keep the dust down. It makes a muddy mess but it is better than all the dust. Have you tried pressure washing to see if the glue would come up. Might take 4,000 to 5,000 psi. If you blast the concrete then the concrete will have to be sealed afterwards.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your going to blast the concrete just use a water ring attached to your blast nozzle. This will help to keep the dust down. It makes a muddy mess but it is better than all the dust. Have you tried pressure washing to see if the glue would come up. Might take 4,000 to 5,000 psi. If you blast the concrete then the concrete will have to be sealed afterwards.
I have not tried to pressure wash it, I figured I would ask the experts and see what sounded like the best suggestion before I did anything.

·
Know your Role
64 Posts
What you need to do this job is a SCARIFIER, no blasting of any type works worth a crap whether it is water, glass, or whatever. Don't waste your time with anything else.

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Use a pearl disc on an electric floor buffer, it will scrape that stuff off easily. I used one to remove glue, and also epoxy from a floor to prepare for a new overlay. They tear old glue up with ease. and you can usually find them at any rental house.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
I was able to get the carpet glue off with blasting crushed glass almost no dust at 50 psi. I also used it on concrete where I spilled some stucco on and it dryed really hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts