Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to reply to an Oooooold thread so I started a new one just to let you know how I remove the glue.

First of all (If you're lucky) the wallpaper was a high quality vinyl or cloth. I pull off all the paper leaving the glue on the wall If it's thin paper it rips a LOT!

Once I have all the paper remove, I wet the wall with a big sponge and warm water and I never use METAL Scrapers or putty knives to remove the glue. I take the cover from a wall plug.

Or use the one with the 2 holes. and thats what I use to remove the glue it tends not to gauge the wall like a putty knife or scraper will. I tried an ice scraper once and it worked ok but the sharp edges tended to leave scratch marks on the wall.

Try it!
MZ-HANDYMAN

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
what about those cheap putty knives in the painting aisle they sale at home depot?

they work the same right?

but hey, any nearby outlet, you could just take the plastic cover off and save a trip, huh?

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
i do it an even easier way....

I make someone else do it...:whistling

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
If it actually was GLUE :eek: you would not be getting it off at all:no::no::no:

Please use the proper terminology if you are going to be posting to a professional site, glue has not been used for 80 years:w00t:

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Better then using a sponge...(PUMP SPRAYER)
JON,

I've used a sprayer before but it tends to make more mess than the sponge does. I only use a moist sponge, just enough to wet the old "adhesive" A hand held spray bottle will work just as well and you have more control on the application of the liguid than with the PUMP SPRAYER\.

I don't like to use those paper gouging tools because if you press too hard you mar the surface underneath the wallpaper.

MZ-HANDYMAN
My ignore list is growing by the day... :)

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I use a steamer.
The paste washes off pretty
easily after the paper is off.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I am still experimenting with taking down wallpaper. I have used so far Dif, vinegar, fabric softner, and a steamer. When Ever I hare of a new way I give it a try. I dont like to use a paper tiger if I can avoid it because they can mark the walls.
Once I have all of the paper down I will wet the walls again with Dif, then use a scouring pad and spounge to clean off as much "glue" as I can. Then after the walls have dried I seal them up with Gardz, fix any damage to the walls, prime, and paint.. Some guys dont bother priming after they have layed down the coat of Gardz, I like to do it because I think it gives me something to sand on thus making the walls smoother.

·
Organic Painter
1,008 Posts

That is what we use along with a sponge. In fact there is nothing we wont use to remove wallpaper...Nothing! We try to be prepared with everything we have ever used when the wallpaper jobs come up. Since time is money and no two walls strip off the same it is better to have a weapon for everything just like business and sales.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I am still experimenting with taking down wallpaper. I have used so far Dif, vinegar, fabric softner, and a steamer. When Ever I hare of a new way I give it a try. I dont like to use a paper tiger if I can avoid it because they can mark the walls.
Once I have all of the paper down I will wet the walls again with Dif, then use a scouring pad and spounge to clean off as much "glue" as I can. Then after the walls have dried I seal them up with Gardz, fix any damage to the walls, prime, and paint.. Some guys dont bother priming after they have layed down the coat of Gardz, I like to do it because I think it gives me something to sand on thus making the walls smoother.
Anyone I've come across who
doesn't like a steamer either
only used one of those phony
weak HO models, or is just
afraid of steam.
Since I'm sure the steamer would
be afraid of you, is it the former? :laughing:

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I fear no steamer, they seem slower then my way.
I really dont need another piece of equipment laying around that I rarely use.
I guess if my normal ways were taking too long I might try a rented steamer, but so far I always seem to get the stuff off pretty quickly. I like the vinegar and water method, nothing like a good douche.

·
special ed
39 Posts
Some joint compound that has be thinned down with some water and applied as a skim coat over the paper works really well. The paper and adhesive comes off relatively easy,just don't let the joint compound dry out. It's one of those things I discovered by accident but it works

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am not a 20yr paper hanger vet, but I do know a few things...

First, i agree with Chris... If its glue its not coming off... the only thing you need to worry about is getting the backing off.

Second, if you're going to rehang paper - you're waisting labor.. wipe down with warm water just to remove any raised glue balls and then rehang over it.. no need to remove the glue at all - just any ridges that might show through the new paper...

If you're going to paint... doosh the walls, wipe them down - prime and your set to paint..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Forgot something...

Gardz is awesome **** man...

and... IF you wet it well enough you dont need to scrape at all.. you can pull the backing off in sheets +))

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
I am not a 20yr paper hanger vet, but I do know a few things...

no need to remove the glue at all - :rolleyes::blink::rolleyes:

IT IS NOT GLUE ! IT IS NOT GLUE! IT IS NOT GLUE! IT IS NOT GLUE!
IT IS NOT GLUE! IT IS NOT GLUE! IT IS NOT GLUE! IT IS NOT GLUE!

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::laughing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts