Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
70 year old house has attached garage with basement under about half that is failing. Northern climate salt damage, efflorescence and cracking.
Basement has block walls on sides, poured front and back with a concrete floor
I don't really like either of my options for floor removal so what are some thoughts?

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Suspended slab is structural

Don't listen to any of us cowboys, death is almost imminent or at least severe body damage.

Get a structural engineer, chances are it's all coming out, walls too.

Repair is possible but look at the costs and for a bit more customer gets all new

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Suspended slab is structural

Don't listen to any of us cowboys, death is almost imminent or at least severe body damage.

Get a structural engineer, chances are it's all coming out, walls too.

Repair is possible but look at the costs and for a bit more customer gets all new
Agreed. What does the engineer say?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply but replacing all would be a MUCH bigger job in this case. I haven't done much besides talking with a guy with a little demo experience and he thinks we could simply jack hammer it and let it fall. I was thinking of building the forms for the new floor first then saw/hammer it to fall on the forms. Like I said I don"t like either. I am going to have two masonry contractors look at it and talk to the building inspector as well. I don't like the idea of getting a structural engineer involved either(that doesn't mean it''s not a good idea though, LOL). Anyways I am looking for opinions?questions

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rural location. If my inspector advises getting an engineer involved I certainly will. BUT There is only one firm within over 200 miles from here and my previous experience with them involved totally unnecessary overkill. Total nightmare incompetence has plagued them for years for some other larger commercial projects.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
If you have any pictures of this, I'd love to see it. I've never seen this in residential and to be way rural, makes it all the more interesting.

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
I have seen this a few times on residential. One had a swimming pool under the garage. No way would I touch that job without a very detailed report by the engineer.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
a carpenter/contractor would know when the services of a professional are necessary. you sure you're not a HO coming here to pick our brains because you've already entertained the services of one and are not happy with the solution and it's cost is? just saying. you may be a contractor/carpenter...but we've seen here repeatedly a newbie coming in posing questions as this are typically a disgruntled homeowner seeking cheap solutions to problems. you as a carpenter...i would hope that you consider yourself a professional in your trade. you need to entertain the services of a trained professional in which you wish to accomplish.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Ya, you've been given the right advice by a few people on here and you seem to be heeding it all. Your not sounding like much of a contractor.

I can't picture one place in a modern area that the building official would take on the liability of that project.

Good luck

·
Contractor
7,672 Posts
70 year old house has attached garage with basement under about half that is failing. Northern climate salt damage, efflorescence and cracking.
Basement has block walls on sides, poured front and back with a concrete floor
I don't really like either of my options for floor removal so what are some thoughts?
Is there a basement below/under the garage slab, or a basement adjacent to the garage?

Salt, efflorescence and cracking would not necessarily require a demo and replace scenario.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'm still wrapping my head around having part of a basement under half of a garage in a rural location. To me, I'd do that because I need more space and there's not a lot of space to work with, but in a rural site, that shouldn't be the case.

Some remods can be interesting though.

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
Sounds like this homeowner is going to make a real contractor a nice chunk of change. And a hospital or mortician. Probably going to make one or both of them a nice chunk of change too.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Pretty sure he was going to use a jackhammer to budge it.
:laughing:I'm interested in how far the project is from getting some engineering. Even without knowing any more about the project I have my ideas about the cost of the project and the cost of the engineering. I don't know if Meko's coming back. I wouldn't mind seeing a few pictures, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts