Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm doing some punchout on installed euro-style cabinetry. In a few instances the previous carpenter used a screw that was too long when connecting cabinets and went all the way through the veneer in the next cabinet over, the screws can be replaced with shorter ones but what to do about the bubble/bump in the particleboard/plywood where the screw penetrated?

Will a heat gun help with this? In some instances a fastcap is appropriate but in others I'd like to be able to repair the existing surface. We see a lot of these where they stop without going all the way through the veneer so there is no hole to patch but it still creates the bump which we've had no luck removing just by replacing the screw.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Bump it back in gently with a hammer?

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
You cold just put a screw in from the other side. Make it look like it was meant to be there. It seems like the bump is from the particle board core being pushed out against the veneer by the screw. A spot of glue through a small hole drilled at the mound with some clamp pressure. I like the screw idea better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts