Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, the attached pdf shows the original house roofing blueprints with the walls we plan to remove in yellow. The roof has prefabbed trusses accross the whole span. and the homeowner wants to extend a 7' opening (with 2-2x8 headers there now) to 14' opening for a wall that is perp. to the ~40 foot trusses. The homeowner had an legit structural engineer come during the option period to investigate another problem. and the engr. (after looking in the roof) said that the walls in question were not load bearing and it was fine to remove, although it was an informal dialogue (his report was on another issue). but im not convinced the truss doesnt need a center wall, as there are center walls everywhere else in the whole house. if we remove, it will leave three trusses spanning ~35 feet. My first inclination was to put 2-2x12 headers for the 14' span, mirroring the 2-2x12 headers on the exisitng 14' span. however the existing 14' span has a different roof structure above it as seen in the blueprint. Debating a more extensive/expensive beam... Any suggestions?? the homeowner is trying to avoid another 600 engr. fee.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
hello, the attached pdf shows the original house roofing blueprints with the walls we plan to remove in yellow. The roof has prefabbed trusses accross the whole span. and the homeowner wants to extend a 7' opening (with 2-2x8 headers there now) to 14' opening for a wall that is perp. to the ~40 foot trusses. The homeowner had an legit structural engineer come during the option period to investigate another problem. and the engr. (after looking in the roof) said that the walls in question were not load bearing and it was fine to remove, although it was an informal dialogue (his report was on another issue). but im not convinced the truss doesnt need a center wall, as there are center walls everywhere else in the whole house. if we remove, it will leave three trusses spanning ~35 feet. My first inclination was to put 2-2x12 headers for the 14' span, mirroring the 2-2x12 headers on the exisitng 14' span. however the existing 14' span has a different roof structure above it as seen in the blueprint. Debating a more extensive/expensive beam... Any suggestions?? the homeowner is trying to avoid another 600 engr. fee.
Well it sounds like you need the engineer back over there. $600 is nothing when you consider that its gonna be done correctly.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If it were me I would tell the homeowners you need to spend that $600 on the engineer, and get a proper assessment in writing.
$600 is cheap insurance and piece of mind.
Relying on the advise of strangers who have a thumbnail sketch to go off of....:no:

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Could you roll out a bit more of that toilet paper please, so we could see the rest of the structure to come to a professional conclusion and give you a sound advise?

Right now from where I'm sitting, and at the angle I am looking at the structure, I can only tell you take the walls out and see what happens... and if you smart enough not to do that, than you be smart enough to advise the HO to contact an Engineer like other told you to do. If for any reason you decide to go ahead with it, I cannot wait to read it in the paper if something should go wrong :laughing:

·
Eater of sins.
4,576 Posts
If you have the original truss engineering diagram that should show the bearing points on the trusses in question.
There are other ways for an engineer to tell if the trusses in question are bearing on those points but I would recommend you talk to an engineer that does trusses and has the proper programming for this.

Andy.

·
Carolina Surface Prep
220 Posts
Agree with everyone's advice above. While it is very unlikely the walls are bearing points for the truss system, making that decision from a set of architectural plans instead of the actual truss engineering is not a good way to start to the project.

If the client refuses to involve a qualified professional to make the call, then you have a good signal of what kind of customer you will be working with.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Good luck finding out what design loads the trussess were engineered to. You can get a clue by checking with truss companies and see what their comparables are. Here's an example:

http://www.locketruss.com/roofspan.pdf

Definitely need and engineer for the liability.
Danger. Truss spans aren't all about size of chords. Also grading of lumber and size of plating. It can make a really big difference.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
As everyone else said, use the engineer. What's under the walls in question? If nothing, they're probably not load bearing.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
Danger. Truss spans aren't all about size of chords. Also grading of lumber and size of plating. It can make a really big difference.
Yes, just an example of what truss companies will say their designs will do, not what the trusses he's looking at will do, according to their manufacturer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thx for the replies. 1) looking at the foundation plans, indeed there is an 18" interior beam footers under the wall in question which basically is 2 feet or so from the ridge line of the house. (there are walls under the wall in question in the basement, footers under the walls in the foundation). Thx for the suggestion. 2) Again the its currently a 7' opening with 2-2x8, and it needs to be 14'; its not that much effort to go with a LVL beam. 2) will insist on a formal engr opinion for sizing the beam

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Don't forget it's more than just headering off the opening. Load path has to make it down to earth bearing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts