Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'll start with why grout a toilet base in the first place ?

However my question is how to remove a toilet that has been grouted in - say to a ceramic tile floor ?

Will it release satisfactorily without breaking the toilet base ? Any other tips ?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've done a few. One did crack the base(they used the grout as a leveler and the base was mostly coated). Warn customer the possibilities before.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
You grout it to the floor so that no one knows it's leaking until the ceiling below it falls down.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have read that in some areas caulking the toilet is code. The way I understand it, it is to keep water from say a shower from infiltrating under the toilet.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I have read that in some areas caulking the toilet is code. The way I understand it, it is to keep water from say a shower from infiltrating under the toilet.
UPC and every code depending on the UPC, including California 2010 Plumbing Code

407.2 Joints. Where a fixture comes in contact with the wall or floor, the joint between the fixture and the wall or floor shall be made water-tight.

Around here, that's interpreted as "caulk the toilet to the floor."

I've seen them grouted, too. Utility knife or MM. Sometimes driving a shim under it releases it. I've never seen one break.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
here is is to ensure sewer gas does not get into the room if the seal fails. I always leave a small opening in the back so if it does leak you will see the water.

My plumber would rather see grout than silicone or worst yet phenoseal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts