Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I will start off with stating that I am not a mason nor do I pretend to be, just a guy who did the best he could and now needs professional advice. (I was a tender over 30 years ago).
So, customer comes to me with a "stoop" that was falling apart, brick work surrounding a "limestone" centerpiece. all this was placed over the original step(s). So I started pulling lose bricks, and yep, whole thing fell apart. smh.

So I did the best I could, but I have mortar on the limestone and no idea how to remove it without damage. I started using a rubstone, but that seems to want to remove the subtle texture of the stone and also mar it.

I know Muriatic acid is out, so what do I use? This is my first attempt at a repair of this type and I feel like I have mud on my face (so to speak).
Please don't beat me up. I know the joints should be staggered, like I said, my first masonry repair job.
So, thats the stone in center, I am assuming limestone? how do I remove all that mess from the center stone without damage? I'm in a bad spot.
20210327_162208[1].jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Start from least destructive and work toward more drastic solutions. Scrub brush and soap first, power washer next, wire brush then Grinder with cup wire brush and belt sander are going to chew up the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure its limestone? Looks like a bluestone or slate. I would start with a power washer or a wire brush.
Not positive as to the stone, I was leaning towards bluestone after reading a few articles, not a lot of advice on this issue other than not using acid. I like the powerwasher idea, dont know why I did not think of that, I also saw a cleaner that dissolves the mortar, (Sakrete Concrete Mortar Dissolver 65510207).
I'll give the power washer a try, along with detergent and stiff brushes, I did not want to use a wire brush in fear of marring the finish. I will post the results tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Start from least destructive and work toward more drastic solutions. Scrub brush and soap first, power washer next, wire brush then Grinder with cup wire brush and belt sander are going to chew up the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A belt sander is the best, do not use a cup grinder, wire brush or a powerwasher with an aggressive tip. Those will score the hell out of limestone which is very soft

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I used a power washer on the stone, and it took 98% of the mortar off, had I used a stronger unit might have had 100% success. I soaked and scrubbed it with simple green first,
And it is blue stone, I will use the concrete dissolver for what remains.
Appreciate all the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts