Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Making Things Accessible
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a remote project manager for residential remodeling projects. Accessible Housing Services provides wheelchair accessible construction services including site assessments, design, plans, solicitation, and project management. We have 44 open projects (nationally) with most concentrated in the DE, MD, VA area. The position is virtual so you can work from your home using our tools and resources. No travel required.

Responsibilities include scheduling weekly online meetings with the local field agent to inspect the work, maintaining a working relationship with the homeowner, contract and plan compliance with the GC, and other related PM duties.

We usually have 3-4 active projects requiring about 5 hours each project per week. The hours may fluctuate week to week but it averages 15-20 hours. You control when the meetings are scheduled so the work is flexible. We hold most of our weekly site meetings during business hours.

You must be organized. Again, you must be organized. I trained my current PM (she's staying with the company, just is a little burned out of PM) with no construction experience to be the best PM I've had because she learned quickly, is very organized, and is a stickler for details.

You will be paid in cash monthly (Bank EFT) and will receive a 1099 at years end. You will need a computer and ideally a smartphone.

If you're interested, please contact me and I'll follow up with you. Please provide the following info when following up:
1. Location
2. Time Zone
3. Hourly Rate
4. Are you currently working or have other time commitments? If so, details.
5. Please tell me your construction background, area of expertise.

Thank you.

·
Design Build
6,672 Posts
This can’t be real.
A virtual project manager in construction.
I can’t see this being successful. If you are legit, I wish you every success.

To truly manage a project you have to walk the ground and touch what is being built. Anything less than that allows for people to get away with things.

·
Super Moderator
24,650 Posts
I know an estimator that works remotely but a PM????

Usually they are eyes on a project until an old pissed off super throws them off the job...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Wallmax ... you’re behind the times my friend. I work for a very large property management company (75,000 employees world wide). I am “on account” for a very large financial firm that outsourced their real estate department, and i manage construction projects from $50k to $6 mil. We manage 80% of the work without ever setting foot on site. The key is to have architects and general contractors that you trust.

One of the benefits of working remotely is ... working remote. When the wife and i want to go somewhere, i just pack up my laptop and log on from wherever. No one has any idea where I am, and they don’t care as long as the work gets done.

And i have a lot of construction experience. I was a jr PM for a gc on a 49-story building, i had my own small reno company for 4 yrs, and i am the gc qualifier for my company in 4 states.

·
Design Build
6,672 Posts
Very cool.
Is your ass held accountable if things are “missed” or not right?

Or does everyone point fingers at their web cam?

Seems odd, but if it works for people, I’m all for innovation. You’d really have to find good people or it would be a failed endeavor.

·
Making Things Accessible
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is legit. PM me and I'm happy to have an online meeting, with cameras, and discuss the project and provide some insight on how we do this.

Half-Ass Eddie is right. There are many ways to manage a project remotely. I've developed a very effective model over the past 10 years.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Very cool.
Is your ass held accountable if things are “missed” or not right?
Or does everyone point fingers at their web cam?
Two things ... we have a very good client who understands the situation. They want everything done right, but they know it’s difficult from afar. We used to spend more time on site, but once covid hit travel was severely cut back, and it might not return. I used to visit the site twice for sure, for the initial kickoff and the completion punchlist. Not any more.

Second ... we use a camera from oxblue corp. Google them. Its a free standing camera that takes a picture about every 9 minutes and sends it back to their servers in atlanta. I can log on and see a almost real time picture, and i can go back through every image since the camera was turned on. We mount it high on a wall in the corner to get a wide angle view of the site. The gc has come to like it ... if the plumber says “my guy was there until midnight” the gc can check, and say “nope, lights went out at 9”. It has happened more than once.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Like Griz said, travel today is a factor. If you are working a long way from home, there's a huge time factor in travel. I did a couple jobs years ago where, as the PM, I showed up maybe once a month. It took a day to get to the job, a day on the job, and a day to get home. With a lot of people using Zoom, you can do some things remotely. If the PM is responsible for billing, it's partially a matter of percentages. Submittals, etc are mostly all electronic today anyway. If I need to write some RFI's just send me a couple of pictures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts