Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 6 ft. shadowbox fence will be going in shortly and will have a pair of 6ft. gates that I want to operate by wireless remote control.
The ones that I have found on the web seem absurdly expensive. I was wondering if anyone had some experience with these things? If I end up shelling out the big bucks, I want to make sure that I'm getting a good product.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
My new 6 ft. shadowbox fence will be going in shortly
Do they make hurricane proof fences or will it just blow away with the next one?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I put these in from time to time. I generally frankenstein parts from several manufacturers to keep the cost down. For keypad/call box pedestals, I use Door King. For wireless remotes.keyfobs and receivers, I use Stanley. For the linear actuators and actuator drive boards, I use several different manufacturers. Don't forget about a backup battery and trickle charger. If you're running power out there for this thing, might as well pull a phone line too so that people can buzz the keypad and you can talk to them with the phone and type #XX to open the gate.

Yes, regardless how you do it, it is absurdly expensive. There are only ways to make it "less" really expensive. If you wanted to make a slider gate, that's a tad cheaper, but not as dramatic as two leaves opening as you approach.

Speaking of approach, you can get an acessory driveway sensor so that the gates open automatically on your way out without you doing anything.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pipe, this one can go just the same as the last one did. The M-DHVWC only specs 4 ft. fences and we like our privacy. We will also have another dog in our future and we are not the poodle type.
md, I have considered a number of DIY options from modifying garage door openers to pneumatic systems. The gate is at the side of the house, not at the end of the driveway and on the garage side, so any power system is convienient. The object is to put the van behind it prior to a neighborhood uprising, rich folks are taking over my little piece of paradise and are beginning to groan about commercial vehicles parked out front. I have been through all of this a few times in Ft. Lauderdale, over time, no one remembers that you were here first and that they moved into YOUR neighborhood.
Back on track, swing gates are my only option.
Let's see if anyone else weighs in. It looks like I may have to cobble something together too.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I'm curious if you have a electric gate is there a manual way to open them if the power goes out or something messes up. :rolleyes:

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
747 said:
I'm curious if you have a electric gate is there a manual way to open them if the power goes out or something messes up. :rolleyes:
A battery backup is for when the power goes out. Almost all of these gate actuators are 12volt DC. Generally you use a lawn mower or motorcycle battery as a the battery backup, with a battery tender charger. For the fire company, you can install a "yelp sensor" on the gate. This detects the fire department's "yelp" siren, and will open the gate. UPS and FedEx all have a couple of "standard codes" that you are supposed to program into the keypad also so that they can bring deliveries up to the house. You can also put your phones on call forwarding to your cell phone so that if someone comes to the call box when you're not home, you can open the gate for them from your cell phone from anywhere in the country if they buzz the gate. If all else fails, you can just reach under the bottom edge of the gate or through the rails and pull the pin out and swing the gate open manually. The hitch pins are designed to be easily removable, but do have a small padlock hole in the pin if you don't want this capability.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Md

I like the call from anywhere and you can open it up. As far as ups or fedex i wouldn't want those guys being able to open my gate. :cheesygri

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
747 said:
As far as ups or fedex i wouldn't want those guys being able to open my gate. :cheesygri
That's why most suppliers of automatic gate materials also offer a parcel vault that you can bolt down near the gate to accept these sorts of things. It's not too uncommon to see parcels left propped up against the keypad pedestal too, but there you have an invitation for theft. I normally have a truck in my driveway that's always unlocked. UPS, the postman, and FedEx just put the packages on the seat for me. That keeps them out of the rain too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts