Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... Let's say for example I have "file sharing" on my office network. I can go to "My Network Places" and access files just like they are on my hard drive, even though they are on the office server... Now let's say I need to access a certain file from the field, on my laptop. I have cellular data capabalities by hooking my cell phone to my laptop.

Normally FTP would work fine for uploading and downloading files, but there is this ONE file that is a database (Quickbooks company financial file) that is huge and can't be downloaded and uploaded easily, plus multiple people may be accessing the file simultaneously, and to download and make changes then upload is a no-no. I need real time access.

I'd like to be able to access the server from anywhere in the world, just as if I were in the office and connected to my LAN. I'm considering any options such as PCAnywhere, Windows Remote Desktop or some type of VPN?

This is a windows 2000 advanced server BTW.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Grumpy, have you heard of "terminal server"? It allows you to run applications on the server just like you were sitting at it (well, maybe just a bit slower). With the right configuration and Internet access, you can get to it with LAN or Internet connection.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, If you want the lowdown on this contact my wife [email protected] she does all of this stuff for major companies. Send it from someone other than Grumpy, put my name in the subject box and she might open it. BTW, She can't figure out the photo thing either, now I don't feel totally stupid.
We all work on different levels.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neil_K said:
Grumpy, have you heard of "terminal server"? It allows you to run applications on the server just like you were sitting at it (well, maybe just a bit slower). With the right configuration and Internet access, you can get to it with LAN or Internet connection.
Yeah I had pondered that, however with 3 people logged into a machine editing various files would EAT up CPU pretty damned fast.

I decided what I want is to give the same effects of a shared file system on a LAN, but remotely connected through the Internet. I believe this is a VPN, but now I am pushing in to areas I don't know much about.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can use a VPN, but you have to remember that the speed is only as fast as the slowest link. That means if you're using dialup, it'll be dog-slow. I'm also not overly fond of opening files remotely via dial-up. Too much chance for corruption.

There are various hardware and software VPNs available, if you'll share how your office network is setup, I may be able to suggest something.

Do you have an office computer that no-one uses while you're out? There is a service called gotomypc.com that allows you to log on to your computer from anywhere. Only drawback is its a service that runs about $20/month (I believe).

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How's my office setup? Dunno. Best answer I can give ;)

Currently I have 4 computers sharing a typical MS workgrou LAN. One of those computers is a dedicated server for file sharing. This dedicated server runs MS Windows Advanced Server 2000.

·
Registered
83 Posts
you have a hub or switch that they all plug into, and how do they get to the internet? And just curious what processor speed and RAM in your server?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some routers will allow VPN traffic. I know Nortel has one that I used before (contivity 1000) but its about $400-500). I'll see if there are any more reasonable for a small office.

Speaking of small office, thats not a bad machine for 4 people running only for file sharing. Even Microsoft says that you don't really need a server for less than 10 (at least when I certified 4 years ago). Your 1600Mhz machine should be able to handle you running terminal services while others use it for file/printing. You don't have to completely set up terminal services either. Microsoft Windows 2000 Server has terminal services "administration mode" that allows up to two people to remotely take over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts