Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a GC to help find a way to add onto my home. Currently a lovely home in a great neighborhood, I checked with two bids on remodeling the existing garage and adding a new garage behind the current one. There is space for it...just barely. Cost was 50,000. This was way beyond what I expected for a room with only electricity and no applicances...and new garage.

So...now I wonder if I should consider building upwards instead. Going over the garage for this additional room?

I'm curious who I should have come to check and work on plans. I don't want just anyone to come and build a room on top. The rooflines of the home are lovely, tall hip rooflines. If I build upwards I'd need the new roof to match slope and tie in properly. The house is brick with the exception of an area on the back porch. Others in the neighborhood with second story have siding instead of brick on sections on the second story. This can work but need perhaps an architect or someone with the architect eye to manage the plans.

I have no clue where stairs would fit since I don't know how much room a staircase normally takes up.

Is this do-able on 30,000 budget? The addition doesn't need plumbing, only electricity. Nice sized windows and a hardword floor.

Thoughts?

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Remodeling the existing garage should be pretty easy. It's all there already as far as structure goes. Probably looking at around $55-65/sf if you get thrifty with it.
As far as the garage you can build that decently for around $45-50/sf I should think. You may want to do some of the work yourself like hanging drywall, mudding, and taping in your garage. Let the professionals do the remodel. Stuff the insulation for yourself and maybe the trim if you have the ability.
As far as stairs - a rough estimate with a 9' floor to floor height would require about 15'x4' of open area (depending on local codes you could possibly shrink that down to 3' wide).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right....

I had an estimate to remodel the garage (adding A/C, flooring, electrical, new walls, etc...and add a whole new garage extended from this existing one. The problem for the costs came with the cement work needed. Our house and garage are set back from the street. Pumping the cement a necessity to the back, altering the elevation of the existing driveway since the driveway can be on a slope, the garage can not.

The bids to do this: both remodeling the garage and adding new garage was 55,000 total Way too much. The neighborhood homes value can handle the added cost but I'm not wanting to add this much $$ into my house to get 400 square ft of work/living space....Its for a home office.

So, I thought adding a room over the existing garage would be the next choice. Same 440 square ft, just raising the roof. Tall roofs already....but would need an addition upward.

My question: Can this be done on a budget of 30,000 or is this dream dead? I need to work space for a home office. Thanks, guys!

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I think you can do it for 30k. That comes to $75/sf which I believe can be achieved. Finding the right contractor will be the biggest problem. One that is budget conscious and does quality work.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Kathy where there's wood, there's a way.

Send some photos and details of your ideas, I'll put some figures together you can use for a guide.

A little advice though, you will get a better deal near the winter.

Bob

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
oh yea.....also....I built a winding stair last year that only took up 80"X80" and it was pretty dam comfortable. It looks stinking tuff as hell also.

Bob

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
That would be great! Post some pictures Kathy and lets see if we can get an online estimate going!
Of course every area is going to be priced differently but it might be fun either way ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nathan said:
That would be great! Post some pictures Kathy and lets see if we can get an online estimate going!
Of course every area is going to be priced differently but it might be fun either way ;)
I was just told...that its not possible because the garage foundation isn't adequate for a 2nd story.

I live in Texas where the foundation is cement. The house is ranch but with tall ceilings on the main floor of the house (up to 10 feet) and the attic space overhead on the rest of the house is "cable man's heaven". High tall hip roof....

But over the garage, the foundation is a garage foundation. normal height of ceiling. Rear entry garage...

I'm assuming that the foundation in the rest of the house is adequate for supporting main floor and tall roof but not a partial 2nd story? Maybe I could add upwards in another area of the house instead of the garage? But who can tell if the foundation is adequate for second story?

What kind of pictures do I attach? The front of the house? Flloor plans? Lot plot?

I think I should register to get email updates to this thread :p

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hey Kathy, the foundation thing may be true. In my area Garage Slabs are typically 4" of cement on 3" of crushed rock. IMO this is not adequate for a 2 story structure.

Your house foundation is probably much thicker than 3" with much deeper footings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2nd stories are generally more expensive per square foot than ground floor additions and they certainly are a lot more intrusive on your life. A ground floor addition can be done and you litterly will never know it is happening! For rough remodeling costs try some online cost calculators - there is one specifically for 2nd story additions to give rough initial numbers. As far as a price the $50k could be high, low or in the middle. need a lot of details to tell. Where i sthe home located. Also try contacting some contractors who may work in a lower cost part of town..many times if you live ina nice area the price is more than a not so nice part of town for the exact same addition.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.