Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm running into a few issues in a remodeling project that I was asked to help on and I'm not from Maryland. I was hoping to get some professional advice.

I'm having a venting issue for a full bathroom, laundry room and kitchen sink.

Both rooms are in the basement and kitchen is upstairs. The laundry room I wanted to run the vent to the outside of the house through the band board either with an AAV or just glue on a 90 facing down. Is this legal? There is a window but not to close to where the pipe would be coming out of the side of the house. The other solution is just installing the AAV inside a wall with an access panel. Which one would be better?

My other situation is the bathroom being remodeled, there was a plumber in there before me. The existing main stack has a clean out that is not accessible due to the new durock on the bathroom wall that is tiled. My question is do I have to make the clean out accessible and if so can I use shear bands and furnco's with PVC on existing cast iron? My other question is can I vent both the tub drain and vanity together with an AAV that is in a bulkhead with and access panel? I did notice a 2" line coming through the floor from upstairs but I believe that is for the vanity drain but I also believe its the vent. Can I use that 2" pipe as my vent for my 2 fixtures in the basement instead of using the AAV?

My last situation is the kitchen being remodeled the sink is installed but the rough in plumbing wasn't installed. There's a hole through the bottom of the cabinet where the waste pipe should go. Looks like I'm going to have to use another dang AAV because there is no walls behind this sink. How far up in the cabinet does that AAV have to be?

Thank you for your help!
James

·
Contractor
7,158 Posts
Maryland has 23 Counties and the City of Baltimore.

Each of these Counties, with the exception of Montgomery and Prince Georges, which are under the thumb of the WSSC, have their own rules.
Some of the other cities and towns have their "thumb in the pie" as well.

I am sure these rules are based on some national plumbing code or something, but unless you would like to name the jurisdiction you are working in, I doubt that anyone can help you with the disaster you have described.

Good luck with it.

·
MHIC licensed contractor
154 Posts
Sounds like you arent a licensed contractor or licensed plumber. Both require licenses in MD. Too bad, otherwise you could just call the PG county inspectors and ask.

My professional opinion would be to hire someone that knows what they are doing, or try asking on the harry homeowner forum. Or you could call the mhic and tell them you are an unlicensed handyman doing plumbing in PG county and you need help, i think the fine is only $10,000 and or 30 days in jail. Their number is
410-230-6309
1-888-218-5925

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
If you saw this work would you think a plumber did it? :whistling

Lol thats nice plumbing :blink:. But hey i have seen many a licensed plumber make a much bigger mess than that and it still work lol. At least he glued the fittings. I have seen new homes where none of the bathrooms fittings were glued. I have just picked up a contract for snag lists for a large home builder because of licensed people who cant do stuff correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The pictures I see there is plumbing done properly. Very organized and well put together.
I grew up in Hyattsville and it is most definitely in PG County. Smaller homes there to do bathroom remodeling in that city.
Like a poster above said this is a situation where someone would need to go with you to see the actual mess that you are describing.
For me, this is why I like the business because we are always learning something new even though we really dont know how we're
going to get the situation handled at that moment. Hopefully everything turned out ok for you and are much better for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts