Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have attached a pic from a 10 year old town house and the 2nd floor bathroom. My question, can I go directly into the pipe (as indicated by the red arrow), instead of through the wall. Why, because I would like to install a cabinet with drawers, however in the current configuration, the drawers would touch the current pipe, forcing me to cut the drawer to fit.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
10,793 Posts
You would still need it vented, so not really. And it would be good to open the wall and get the big picture, anyway.

Do yourself a big favor...either get something with drawers on the left side instead, or forget about them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would still be vented as the pipe for the vent is behind the wall...... I am just changing the entrance point.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
It would still be vented as the pipe for the vent is behind the wall...... I am just changing the entrance point.
yup. You be good to go.

·
Registered
10,793 Posts
No, it's a wall mounted cabinet..... Not my choice, but that's what was chosen.....
Will the trap be inside the cabinet entirely, and the cabinet against the side wall? If so, sounds like it will work with the drain route as it is. (cut off, install cab, reconnect drain...) Drawer is a bit higher, right?

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
This ought to prove interesting...:whistling

Attachments

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
This ought to prove interesting...:whistling
I had one similar to that from Ikea. Damnedist thing I ever installed. Tailpiece that came with it went horizontal to accomodate drawers.

Top was heavy as hell and the unit hung on the wall with no legs.

I can just imagine how heavy it was with the drawers loaded and the bowl full of water. I used 1/4 x 4" lags to mount it. I hope that was good enough

·
Registered
10,793 Posts
I had one similar to that from Ikea. Damnedist thing I ever installed. Tailpiece that came with it went horizontal to accomodate drawers.

I can just imagine how heavy it was with the drawers loaded and the bowl full of water. I used 1/4 x 4" lags to mount it. I hope that was good enough
Lag bolts, or some Ikea-proprietary system version of them that comes in a heavy parts bag?

They seam to reverse-engineer basic assembly and installation methods.

·
Registered
10,793 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Ya, I had to reinforce behind the sink into the studs to ensure there was enough to hold the thing up properly.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts

So, looks like a bathtub waste then.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts