Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I'm looking for work outside my province, I have a few leads for work but I'm not 100% sure of them.

If I see a company looking for people to relocate what should I know?
My typical procedure is to search for their company name to ensure they are legit. Once that is done I tend to find a phone number and call them to ask about the job. After that I email my resume and hope for the best.

Other than that I don't know what else I can do.

On that note what are the chances that I am going to get work from a company who didn't advertise in my area.
Is it worth my time and their's to even try? I don't have a bad resume but there's plenty of people who are going to be hired before me?

I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
When you see companies that are actively looking for people to relocate, it's because they can't find enough qualified employees at the wages they are willing to pay in their area. That can be for a few reasons. They may be in a real specialized field and qualified employees may be scarce everywhere. Business may be booming in their area and every available carpenter is fully booked and the whole area just needs more manpower. Or the company may just not be willing to pay a living wage, and nobody in their area is willing to work for them.

The last ones are who to watch out for. They could advertise wages that seem high to people from the boonies, but they may actually be way below the going rate in their area. I know from experience that I can live quite comfortably in rural Pennsylvania for half of what I used to make in California. If I didn't take that into consideration, I could easily be fooled by a company offering me a 50% pay raise to relocate back to California, and then when I got there I would end up living like a pauper.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you see companies that are actively looking for people to relocate, it's because they can't find enough qualified employees at the wages they are willing to pay in their area. That can be for a few reasons. They may be in a real specialized field and qualified employees may be scarce everywhere. Business may be booming in their area and every available carpenter is fully booked and the whole area just needs more manpower. Or the company may just not be willing to pay a living wage, and nobody in their area is willing to work for them.

The last ones are who to watch out for. They could advertise wages that seem high to people from the boonies, but they may actually be way below the going rate in their area. I know from experience that I can live quite comfortably in rural Pennsylvania for half of what I used to make in California. If I didn't take that into consideration, I could easily be fooled by a company offering me a 50% pay raise to relocate back to California, and then when I got there I would end up living like a pauper.
The add that I am looking at states they are looking for 4-6 framers with various levels of experience, It doesn't say a word about wages or anything. If I called the person would it be professional of me to ask what they are paying starting out?

After all I'd be moving over 5,000 KM's for a job, I don't want to get out there and find out I'm only going to be making 11.50 an hour.

That's not me being entitled that I think is common sense.

Thanks for the answer, I'll probably have more questions when I can think of them.

·
Super Moderator
24,289 Posts
1) How much of what type of work is available?

2) How long will it last?

3) What are the experience requirements & pay scale?

4) Are you qualified to be at the top of the pay scale?

5) What are the living costs in the area?

6) What is expected of me on the job site?

7) What tools do I need?

8) What is the weather/climate like in the area?

9) Do you work in the winter?

10) What amenities are available in town?

11) Are there bennies for working in this chit hole?......:laughing:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that list, I appreciate it.

So I spent the last two days trying to find out some info about the company, so far I haven't found out anything aside from this add.

I think monday I might call just to see if I can find out any information about them. If I don't get anything solid I'm going to pass on this, the add isn't the most detailed, I'm willing to given them the benefit of the doubt and say they aren't familiar with the whole electronic thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts