Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
So Friday, the lumber yard sent a delivery to our site. They stacked it rather strange on the truck and when it was coming off the loader, it slid off sideways. The driver checks out the load, mentioned something about replacing a few LVLs. and drove off.

I told him he needs to get his guys to come back and make it safe for my guys to break this accident apart. It looked precarious and it was making creaking sounds for the next hour I was there. I have to think it was also putting considerable amount of stress on the i-joists and other material.

I couldn't believe this guy. No, "I'm sorry" or "We'll fix this mess."

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What the hell is up with people? I think if this guy doesn't come back to fix it, he's going to get canned. I wouldn't let guys work like that for me. Bad for business.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Hopefully no one signed for that pile of sticks and a call was made to the yard boss immediately.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I instantly took photos and shot them off to my employer and told him what happened but I'm afraid I did sign for it.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,069 Posts
You have the power - sign or don't sign. It it isn't what you want, where you want it, and how you want it, wait for it to get straightened out before signing.

·
GC/carpenter
43,888 Posts
It's not like you can't prove it's a messed up drop. What are they going to think, you messed it up after he left rebanded it and called just to complain. I think your case is pretty solid.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I dont know about where you guys are but around here the delivery guys dont make anything for wages so they do not put in the extra effort and dont care. Most truck driving jobs around here pay $8-$10 an hour. Numerous times i have seen loads dumped off in the mud, standing water, other vehicles get damaged from the boom operator, delivery trucks get damaged, etc. You get what you pay for. you pay meager wages you get an idiot driving an expensive truck hauling expensive materials and they could care less.

Friend of mine just quit his job with one of the best yards around after 28yrs. He drove boom truck for over 15yrs, did all the truck maintenance, all the rental equipment maintenance, all the owners personal vehicle/boat maintenance and was also responsible for the owners home maintenance including his rentals. His pay after 28yrs? His raise this fall put him at $18 an hour. Owner would not give him a decent raise and no retirement. Now the owner has had to replace him as a driver, if any of the boom trucks have problems they now have to go to Conn. for repair, he has to hire a garage to do the maintenance on his personal vehicles and barter with other contractors for his home/rental maintenance.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I try to always plan the drop zone and have some dunnage ready to throw under it to keep it flat and up off the ground or driveway...

Looks like the way it was loaded, it would all need to be restacked anyways, whether it rolled over or not.

Just crack the whip on the framers, and get it all installed before it can take a set:laughing:

Oh yeah, if your not happy, don't sign the ticket.;)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
At least it didn't roll down the hill:thumbup:

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Take a picture, have your guys fix it, and deduct for time lost when you pay the bill. Include an invoice for re-stacking with the check. Can't wait around all day for some knuckle dragger to come fix it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts