Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
blaming it on insurance? He seems to think he can get insurance and that "I" would have nothing to worry about. So I should tell him no insurance would approve? Thank you again!!!
I feel your frustration. He has no idea what he is talking about. I can't stand guys like that. Total idiot.

I wish we had a section on this forum where we could invite hacks and tear them a new one, but we dont, and the likes of him are NOT WELCOME HERE.

If this was not a family member, I would just follow Davinci Remodel's option 1. Since he is, you need to give him enough rope to hang himself.

I'm not familiar with CA laws, but there must be a clause in the license that covers the "borrowing" of licenses and the consequences. Also have his "not a problem" insurance agent call you (leave a message, check him out and call him back) and request in writing his options for the idea.

It's not legal, and you will have plenty of proof at that point to show the family it is illegal.

You and we and I know it's a scam, but it sucks for you that it's family trying to screw you.

Just some more thoughts.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
In most states the penalty for working without a license is far less than you would face as a licensed contractor trying to pull a fast one on the state.

Rather than telling him to just get forked--How about a good laugh and,"You have to be kidding!!"

Then leave---------

·
Contractor
7,572 Posts
.....in the interest of not causing any waves for my wife (since it is her brother's daughter's lame-o boyfriend/father of her children).......

He would be married to my niece before I would help him in the least bit. And your wife should not be taking his side. The boy needs to grow up and be a man. Behavior like his should not be tolerated.

He wants to bang your niece and have kids but does not want the responsibility of marriage.

He wants to be a GC on your license but does not want the responsibility of his own license.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to helping this guy out, but he needs to start owning up and taking responsibility for his actions, or you will end up like your niece....well effed and taking care of his problems.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
He can't get his own license because he does not have the on the job experience for anyone to sign and vouch for him. He is doing "side jobs" right now behind his employers back, (they are friends of mine), they had to recently put GPS tracking on his service truck to track why is is not at jobs on time. Hello! he is doing side jobs and double-dipping on company time!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
We see you're still on-line soaking all this up! Think of it this way: We could be your only family tomorrow!:laughing:
Ruh Roh Reorge, he may have left himself logged on while he told the fam, and we will all be getting a subpoena soon as witnesses.:laughing:

The carnage may be occuring as we speak.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,976 Posts
Wellll.... you wont be out of the woods when you tell him to back up off your license. Any jobs he's done with your license number will be hanging out there and you better hope that none of those "clients" file a complaint because you will be in a mess of chit. "Forked" as was stated earlier. (that cracks me up)

It will be up to you to prove that you had NO involvement with those projects. You will have to prove that your license was being used without YOUR knowledge or approval. The burden of proof will be ALL ON YOU!

So you better hope that baby-daddy didn't Fork-up any of the work he did while pretending to be you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wellll.... you wont be out of the woods when you tell him to back up off your license. Any jobs he's done with your license number will be hanging out there and you better hope that none of those "clients" file a complaint because you will be in a mess of chit. "Forked" as was stated earlier. (that cracks me up)

It will be up to you to prove that you had NO involvement with those projects. You will have to prove that your license was being used without YOUR knowledge or approval. The burden of proof will be ALL ON YOU!

So you better hope that baby-daddy didn't Fork-up any of the work he did while pretending to be you.
About 25 years ago I fired a helper. He then went around town using my license, even had contracts printed. He got a DBA and a checking account with the same name as appears on my license. He was taking deposits and abandoning jobs, I reported this to the CSLB and was told to report it to the police. I went to the police and was told to report it to the CSLB.

I got a call from an angry homeowner (whom I had never met) for a project started by this helper of mine, I explained to him the problem, established a friendly relationship with him and advised him to contact the CSLB. He reported this to the CSLB but they told him to contact the police.

I think that most savvy contractors realize the CSLB is a joke, the only enforcement they do is when they sit in a "sting house" and hope crooks come to them, but they are weak and lazy and lack the ability to actively respond to complaints and pursue the bad guys.

Just to show you how lame enforcement is in California, they repealed the part of BP 7048 that required unlicensed contractors to state in their advertising that they were unlicensed:

Small Jobs: Another welcome action was repeal of Subdivision (b) of Business and Professions Code §7048, which had purported to "strengthen" the contractor's license law by effectively doing away with the "small job" (less than $500) exemption. Under the repealed law, an unlicensed contractor undertaking a job worth less than $500 lost the exemption if he failed to deliver to the owner a lengthy notice admonishing against employing an unlicensed contractor. The legislation was ridiculed for its absurdity. SB 1914.

After this rule was revoked in 2005, we saw the massive explosion of unlicensed activity that plagues us now.

It is wrong to think that the CSLB will pursue unlicensed activity when they are the ones encouraging it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We, too are in CA & this is definitely illegal. And no way would your general liability insur cover this. I'm sure he would also want access to your suppliers' accounts. How about:
TELL HIM TO WRITE OVER HIS HOUSE TO YOU & YOU WILL CONSIDER IT??
Your wife & family have got to support you w/this. You could lose everything you've worked for by being pressured into this.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,587 Posts
What happened to the guy? Is he dead? Did the family put him in the river?

RS we have not heard from the guy with the motorcycle on the hardwood floors either - have we?

That's at least 2 CT guys gone. I'm going to start behaiving myself :no:

Let's have a beer to those who have to face the family after posting it here :drink:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts