Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
longish story but- client want's to negotiate- so I did, cut out some of the project, new price. He comes back with a lower price etc want's it all for the lower price.
I re-examine the plans, nope. I would like to have this project, but again! the vibes say "game player" dunno.

he's saying that he has someone else with a lower price, who'll do more than work I bid for. (I suspect that this person is imaginary, why else would the client continue to get me to lower my price?)

this has gone on through several emails, each time he's trying to whittle me down some more. I'm done. I sent a rejection letter this morning:

(name deleted), I am a legitimate tradesman. I carry a City of New Westminster business license, (#xxxxxxx) , WorksafeBC coverage letter (WCB), Liability insurance, and industrial insurance on my vehicle. My business is a legally registered corporation in British Columbia, with the attendant GST (federal tax) number.

As you know I am quite busy these days with serious clients. I do not put a negotiating margin into my quotes, so when someone wishes to lower my price, it comes out of my bottom line.

All of this means that I simply cannot compete with “carpenters” who choose to not follow the rules, and can afford to work at the bottom end of the market.

I find nothing wrong with attempting to obtain the best value for your dollar, however being played off against another contractor is distasteful and it dis-respects both him and me. My time has value, as does yours.

If you can get all this work done for four thousand dollars, well then that’s a good deal.
Good luck with your project!

My bid is withdrawn, this job is declined.

sincerely

me

(my original bid was $5020, all in. materials about $1,500. figured 7-10 days work)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Awesome letter. Very professional and puts everything in the proper perspective and really leaves your ego on the sidelines. Good job!

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Oh man, great letter but I can just see that guy steaming right now.

Hopefully he does not do what one customer did with us after we turned down a job and filed a complaint against us on the BBB and signed up on Angies List just to bash us although we never performed anywork for them.

Even if he does call and wants you to do the job, I highly suggest you inform him that youve already declined.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
funny enough, when I was there to do the original inspection, they were great people! nice young couple, cute kid etc. yuppies I think.

I worked on that letter (in my head) for two days, I edited out all the cursing, accusing, vitriolic and general mean comments LOL I did keep that one about dis respect though.

way too much energy on a negative though, but damn it felt good LOL

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
My standard reply in these situations is, "Well, if they say they can do it for 4 grand, sign 'em up before they go out of business, and hope they're still around to do warranty work."

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't know if I would include any statement about your bottom line, it's clear he is only thinking of himself anyways.

I get into these discussions once and awhile and comeback with
"I'm charging fair market value for my services". If they feel they are paying to much they can show me the other estimates to make sure that we are actuality comparing apples to apples. I only top of the line materials, whats the other guy doing.

But really if it's taking this much work now, I can only imagine what they will be like when your tiring to collect.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I worked on that letter (in my head) for two days, I edited out all the cursing, accusing, vitriolic and general mean comments LOL I did keep that one about dis respect though.

way too much energy on a negative though, but damn it felt good LOL

It felt good just reading it!:thumbup:

Dave

·
Captain California
83 Posts
I wish I could be so diplomatic in that type of situation....usually my replies are not so kind. My hat's off to you! :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
The only thing your letter should say is:

Dear Mr. Jones:

Thank you for the opportunity to give you an estimate for your new room addition. Unfortunately, I cannot compromise quality by competing with price. Afte giving more consideration, regarding the cost of quality materials, professional installation, and a well-established company that will work dilligently to build a room addition you will be proud of, please call to schedule your work.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Mr. John Smith
Owner

Don't burn your bridge behind you and don't be so quick to judge customers. This customer may get burned and call you for something else, or he may get burned and recommend you to his friends who have tons of money. Some of the best life-long customers start as buttheads.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You gotta 'know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em. Know when to walk away, know when to run.' Running sounds good about now.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Great letter and I think, well worded :clap:.

I might have to disagree with PC though, if this guy is such a PITA now, what makes you think he'll be any better after getting the screwing he deserves from some other hack?

I'm definitely filing that one away for future use :thumbsup: .

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well geez, he did send a reply - sorta like a wounded puppy. I guess they are masters at manipulation? I dunno. like they say, fool me once, shame on me, twice? ya better duck dude!

email reply from the client:

I had you and one other contractor give me an estimate for the same job. You say you are a professional and so does he. There was a substantial difference in price and I was hoping you would provide a more competitive quote. This isn't "playing contractors"...I am sure every time you price materials with different suppliers it isn't disrepectful is it? Your countered with a better quote but in reality it was the same price without caulking/filling.

It's nothing to get upset about. Anyways, I guess it won't work out.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I don't agree with the way you worded your letter but the final point is the same. When someone tells me they have a better offer, I always ask them, why they're still talking to me then? Sign up on the lower offer, silly. Then, when they make any excuses, the lies start unfolding. If someone is lieing to me to get me to work, I really don't want to work for them.

I am glad you didn't drop your price just to get work. People who do that screw us all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts