Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Reinforce cabinet doors...

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mako1 
I wouldn't do all that.

The main reason is weight. Those two doors are going to be a big load on your pocket slides all by themselves. Adding all that plywood would only add more weight with no real benefit. If the doors are well made they should be structurally sound with out your plywood.

You mentioned a piano hinge for the bifold. You could do that. I find that using a concealed hinge that has some adjustability not only looks better but the adjustability is extremely handy.

This is the hinge

Text Line Parallel Hardware accessory

I have a bunch of these set ups out there. It has been my experience that keeping the weight as low as possible pays great dividends. This type of set up is finicky at best but will work if the end user is gentle and well trained in the proper operation.

I have not had a problem with the door integrity though. But we all have to do what let's us sleep at night. I really mean that.

If you do add ply to the door, make sure your hinges are rated for the added thickness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.