Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I enlarged this TV cabinet and I need to make cabinet doors that open to cover the TV. The opening is 72" x 49". I made two doors and I plan to rip them vertically to make a bifold setup that closes and slides into the cabinet on the geared hardware. I was going to use a piano hinge between the doors, but I really want to solidify the doors. They are poplar, edge glued. I am contemplating 1/4" plywood glued to the back of the panel (there is a recess on the back between the rails and stiles) and then even another sheet that I can glue and screw to the rails and stile. I'm afraid the panel movement might cause a mess. The individual panels will be less than 16", so not a lot of width. Priming the back before hand is a thought as well, to control humidity movement, am I over thinking this?

Furniture Room Property Living room Cabinetry

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I wouldn't do all that.

The main reason is weight. Those two doors are going to be a big load on your pocket slides all by themselves. Adding all that plywood would only add more weight with no real benefit. If the doors are well made they should be structurally sound with out your plywood.

You mentioned a piano hinge for the bifold. You could do that. I find that using a concealed hinge that has some adjustability not only looks better but the adjustability is extremely handy.

This is the hinge

Text Line Parallel Hardware accessory

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hinges are rated for 75 lbs, I'm far from that. I'm going to look into those hinges more.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I have a bunch of these set ups out there. It has been my experience that keeping the weight as low as possible pays great dividends. This type of set up is finicky at best but will work if the end user is gentle and well trained in the proper operation.

I have not had a problem with the door integrity though. But we all have to do what let's us sleep at night. I really mean that.

If you do add ply to the door, make sure your hinges are rated for the added thickness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts