Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local MVD and they said I should register it commercial which the cost is like $680 a year. If I register it personal only $115 one time charge for ever. Any thoughts on what would happen if I register it personal? What have you done I really don't have money until I can get a few jobs under my belt.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is our patriotic duty as business owners to support this great and powerful nation.

Threw that in for the NSA supercomputers.

Anyway I'd pony up for the commercial tags, especially if you're going to letter the unit and run DOT numbers. There's a reason long haul truckers don't register their rigs as RV's.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It is our patriotic duty as business owners to support this great and powerful nation.

Threw that in for the NSA supercomputers.

Anyway I'd pony up for the commercial tags, especially if you're going to letter the unit and run DOT numbers. There's a reason long haul truckers don't register their rigs as RV's.

I found on there website dot numbers are only needed if I'm over 10k GVW which I'm not its more like 5k.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You don't need DOT #'s on a trailer. Thought you were talking about a power unit.

If cash is that tight tag it personal, do a job or two and then letter is and tag it commercial. Just don't letter it with personal plates on it.

Depending on what you do you may or may not need DOT #'s on the power unit. I transport plant and wood products across state lines so I have em. If you're hauling any sort of chemical you may need them. Good news is they're free and it takes 10 minutes to get them from the DOT website.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has a 210 cfm compressor mounted to it. I will probably just register it commercial if I can get a receipt from the manufacture for just the trailer. That way if I put my company name stickers on it the highway patrol wont bother me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't understand how anyone can start a business if they have to pay thousands in taxes to do it.
I understand the concept just haven't put it in practice completely yet...

Basically, you either A) borrow the money or B) slowly migrate towards being ledgitimate, all the while using every possible excuse and write-off to avoid paying taxes on any profit you might make off of it.

'course, the insurance man will screw you either way but at least you pay less in taxes....

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I went to one of these registration dealers here they let private companies also register. They looked at everything and said I can register it private so I did $100 for perm tags. I called our state MVD 3 times and got 3 different answers so oh well. If I get pulled over which I doubt I ever will just tell them that's what they gave me. I told them I'm using the trailer for business and want to register it which is the truth. I already have insurance its cheap $120 a month for 1 million liability and for my mobile rig.

·
Rick
86 Posts
That's probably the best thing you can do.
Good luck with your new business.Sorry if I sounded pessimistic in my earlier post. Im just fed up with giving away a large portion of earnings to people who didnt lift a finger to get it.;)

·
Rick
86 Posts
Corps.....3rd Combat Engineer Battalion, havent seen a base sign like your logo in a long time brings back memories:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts